boot disc help

blueboy2uk 21:56 06 Jan 08

hi i need to kno,w how to restart my xp computer using a windows 98se floppy disc sorry i cant rember how to do it.

thanks

DieSse 22:07 06 Jan 08

Go into the BIOS and set it to start up from Floppy Disk first.

Put in the Win96 boot disk - and restart the system.

blueboy2uk 22:24 06 Jan 08

have done now screen shows A:\ with flashing curser dont i need to type is a command ? and press return i dont know the command.

thaks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:31 06 Jan 08

HAs it loaed the tools to a RAM drive?

What exactly do you want to do?

Is win98 not booting from the Hard drive?

blueboy2uk 22:36 06 Jan 08

its a xp pro system wont boot up i need to get to safe mode so i can do system restore is i know a 98se bootdisk wil work bt i need to know the command to type in to start things going

woodchip 22:38 06 Jan 08

A 98 disc is no good for XP. you need to make this.

First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc.

Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive.

Long Live the Floppy!

You can do the same on a CD make a bootable CD with NERO and burn the files to It.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…