Boot Disc Failure

morddwyd 16:50 04 Nov 09

After a crash and a "Windows is recovering from a serious error" and then the option to repair., (which failed) I get a "Boot disc Failure. Insert System Disc" message. POST is normal

Annoying, but not unknown. Reinstall the o/s, no problem, boot up as normal, until I remove the boot CD.

If I then restart I am back to "Boot Disc Failure.

I can only boot from a CD, doesn't matter what cd as long as it's bootable - Acronis, Partition Magic, XP installation disc, Win 7 RC or Win 7 retail they all work.

It also doesn't matter what o/s is on the hard disc XP or Win 7 or even an Acronis image (this is an Acronis Win RC image from 9 October). they all run perfectly well once booted, I just can't boot from the hard disc, but any o/s on the disc, and all the programmes, run OK.

Is this a hard disc problem and can I get round it by cleaning up the boot sector?

Totally new to me, and I don't recall ever hearing of a similar problem.

GaT7 16:58 04 Nov 09

Enter the BIOS & check that the correct drive/partition is selected as the first boot drive. G

GaT7 16:59 04 Nov 09

It should be the one that contains the freshly installed OS. G

morddwyd 18:57 04 Nov 09

Got it one, Crossbow, many thanks.

I have a hard drive which I removed from an old laptop and mounted as an external, connected through an external SATA socket.

This had somehow become the the primary drive.

Cautionary tale - don't use a SATA socket if you have a USB socket available!

bgrave 21:33 04 Nov 09

Have you tried breaking the connection on the HD and then remaking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant