Boot Disc Failure

morddwyd 16:50 04 Nov 09

After a crash and a "Windows is recovering from a serious error" and then the option to repair., (which failed) I get a "Boot disc Failure. Insert System Disc" message. POST is normal

Annoying, but not unknown. Reinstall the o/s, no problem, boot up as normal, until I remove the boot CD.

If I then restart I am back to "Boot Disc Failure.

I can only boot from a CD, doesn't matter what cd as long as it's bootable - Acronis, Partition Magic, XP installation disc, Win 7 RC or Win 7 retail they all work.

It also doesn't matter what o/s is on the hard disc XP or Win 7 or even an Acronis image (this is an Acronis Win RC image from 9 October). they all run perfectly well once booted, I just can't boot from the hard disc, but any o/s on the disc, and all the programmes, run OK.

Is this a hard disc problem and can I get round it by cleaning up the boot sector?

Totally new to me, and I don't recall ever hearing of a similar problem.

GaT7 16:58 04 Nov 09

Enter the BIOS & check that the correct drive/partition is selected as the first boot drive. G

GaT7 16:59 04 Nov 09

It should be the one that contains the freshly installed OS. G

morddwyd 18:57 04 Nov 09

Got it one, Crossbow, many thanks.

I have a hard drive which I removed from an old laptop and mounted as an external, connected through an external SATA socket.

This had somehow become the the primary drive.

Cautionary tale - don't use a SATA socket if you have a USB socket available!

bgrave 21:33 04 Nov 09

Have you tried breaking the connection on the HD and then remaking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…