Boot disc error

hargranules 21:36 26 Jul 06

trying to mend a acer windows xp machine.It is extremely slow starting and then comes up 'boot disc error insert system disc and press enter'

If I insert acer boot cd only option is complete restore. ( i need to get data off machine first)

Strange thing is when it is going through recovery stuff it says booting from Atapi cd rom
1. fd 1.44mb system type - (19)

Starting windows 98....

this is a xp machine????

hargranules 21:43 26 Jul 06

Sorry has message 'disc boot failure' not boot disc error

woodchip 21:48 26 Jul 06

Win98 will not make any diff some restore discs will show like that. But you should check the disc before use that you have the correct one. Have you tried getting into Safe Mode

ade.h 21:49 26 Jul 06

You'll need to take the disk out and connect it as a slave in another system (changing th jumpers to suit). Then boot into Safe Mode and take ownership of your folders and copy them before leaving Safe Mode.

hargranules 21:54 26 Jul 06

Cannot get into safe mode. Can get in to setup, but cannot see anything there that will help.

ade.h

Do you have any instructions of how to take out disc etc

Been looking at an old posting about boot discs and cd's, is there anything I can download that will help?

woodchip 21:56 26 Jul 06

Can you run Last Known Good Configuration

woodchip 21:59 26 Jul 06

This could help click here

ade.h 21:59 26 Jul 06

Switch the mains off but kep it plugged in, earth yourself and open the case. Unplug the power connector and IDE connector, unscrew the disk and shove it another case by reversing the process. Move the jumper with some tweezers.

hargranules 21:59 26 Jul 06

seen last known configuration in safe mode before can i access from setup????

ade.h 22:00 26 Jul 06

Taking ownership of folders when privacy is enabled click here

woodchip 22:00 26 Jul 06

This could help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced