Boot from CDwriter

The Dazza 00:27 28 Dec 04

Can anyone tell me how i can boot from cd? I've changed the BIOS first boot device to CDROM, second boot device is HDD-0 & Third Boot Device is also HDD-0, but when I restart my pc it says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I'm trying to install windows 2000 on a brand new hard disk drive (tried using the boot disks but get a sif file error message so I thought I'd try booting from cd rom)

THE TERMINATOR 00:57 28 Dec 04

You need a boot diskclick here then boot from floppy and install windows 2000 from the cd, as I dont think the win 2k cd is bootable....TT

TomJerry 01:39 28 Dec 04

try to clean it

The Dazza 11:44 28 Dec 04

I've tried to boot from floppy (4 disks) but this is when I get the SIF file Cab error message. I've also tried re-creating the boot disks but had no luck.

ACOLYTE 11:51 28 Dec 04

click here

Dont know if this will help.

THE TERMINATOR 14:52 28 Dec 04

click here and try this one(I don't understand how you are getting that error message, what do you have on your floppy?....TT

THE TERMINATOR 14:58 28 Dec 04

" DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER " I think you are getting this message because your system doesn't support botting from cd-rom, and the message is coming up because your pc can't boot from your new HDD....TT

The Dazza 15:15 28 Dec 04

Yes TT I think you are correct. Now managed to boot up with old hard disk with xp on, however, it won't allow me to install windows 2000 as it's an earlier version than xp. I have 2 hard disks in my pc and the second one (Local Disk F) is the one I would like to have windows 2000 on as it won't let me install win2000 on C drive.

THE TERMINATOR 15:26 28 Dec 04

You need to format your new drive before you can install the O/S on it and the only other way of doing this is to install it as 2nd HDD and boot from your old drive and format it from there, but you will still need to boot from floppy to install your O/S on the new drive. Are you sure that your floppy drive is ok?...TT

THE TERMINATOR 02:07 03 Jan 05

Once you have formatted the NEW HDD, swap the IDE cable with your OLD HDD, boot from your floppy disk and install W2K from the DOS prompt....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…