boot from cd drive first

duck1 07:42 05 Feb 04

Would any body please explain in plain english how i boot from my cd drive ist instead of my hard drive i am running windows xp any help or links would be helpfull cheers!!

Diodorus Siculus 07:45 05 Feb 04

You need to go into the BIOS when starting the machine - you will see something like

"Press del to enter setup"

In there you will see various options, under one of them is the choice of boot up devices - ide1, floppy, cdrom etc.

Choose CD and exit, saving the changes you made.

Tog 08:02 05 Feb 04

If you have the motherboard manual, it will tell you how to do it in there.

At startup, enter the BIOS (usually by tapping away at the Delete key while the computer is displaying HDD and CD drive info). Your BIOS screen will present you with a list of options. This main menu should also have options to 'quit and save and to 'quit without saving' If you press escape on this screen it should give you the option to quit without saving. Navigate around using the arrow keys. Select an item and press enter, this will move you into the next menu. (Pressing escape should take you back into the previous menu.) On my PC the boot order comes under Standard Options but all BIOSs are different.
Select the boot option that puts the cdrom first in the list and the HDD second.

duck1 09:09 05 Feb 04

i have tried the del key etc but still no go, i have a compaq puter and the compaq splash screen comes up as usual no motherboard diagram with this one!!

debbiem 11:51 05 Feb 04

compaq machine us either f8 to boot from the cd or f3 as soon as the pc starts make sure your cd is in the drive- this will get the drive to boot without going into the bios

debbie
hpsupport

DieSse 12:11 05 Feb 04

On Compaq also try F10 when the cursor flashes in the top right hand corner of the screen, to get into the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…