boot up Bios recognition please help

wolfen 21:10 15 Oct 03

The motherboard is an Abit VP6 dual processor board. Sometimes on boot the wrong processor data is shown prompting an F1 to continue. Onboard are 2x 1GHz P3, however sometimes the Bios is reporting this as 2x 500Mhz P3. Is this a problem requiring a BIOS upgrade or a replacement cmos battery or something else. Sometimes the system boots ok and shows 2x 1GHz.

woodchip 21:18 15 Oct 03

No I would think that you have not got jumpers or dip switches correct on MOBO, on those lines. Check with manual it only takes one, it may run but not as it should

woodchip 21:19 15 Oct 03

PS it may also be FSB in BIOS

wolfen 21:36 15 Oct 03

The VP6 does not use jumpers or Dip switches. The Bios is set via a SOFT MENU III

wolfen 21:38 15 Oct 03

Clock speed in BIOS is ok 1000 Fsb is ok 133

woodchip 21:41 15 Oct 03

Try this see if it work's turn the P&P of in BIOS exit save settings and let Windows run the P&P I have done this on occasion's to troubleshoot. Then right click on my computer/properties to see what cpu is

wolfen 22:26 15 Oct 03

I shall try this when I have a chance, however the problem system is not here at the moment.
I have not heard of the p&p theory before.
The problem is that the system continues even if the initial prompt states that the cpu is at wrong setting just hit the old F1 and everything runs. Once into windows system reports the two cpu are correct 998MHz. If on boot up POST hit del when prompted that cpu settings wrong, get into BIOS and all the settings are correct no changes. So my theory was as this is happening at POST there must by a malfunction of the BIOS instruction set.

woodchip 22:29 15 Oct 03

As I said Plug and Play

woodchip 22:31 15 Oct 03

A new bios update may fix it but You are aware of the dangers

wolfen 22:38 15 Oct 03

As you say p&p and I will try it. I have two of these systems both identical set up and settings, the one I am on at the moment and another at another local, never had a problem with this one only the other one, could this be due to this one being a slightly newer revision mobo to the problem one.

woodchip 22:42 15 Oct 03

I would think that the bios as got bugs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…