Boot up bad command

Rich84 19:18 31 Mar 03

On boot up recently, two things have changed. Firstly from a cold boot when checking NV RAM instead of seeing the RAM 'tick over' as it searches, I'm getting just the total RAM figure. Why has this changed? Secondly, after the virus check and initial Windows boot I get a message in MS DOS about a bad command with á (yes an accented a) following the C:\ prompt. Boot up then continues fine, but I'm noticing some odd behaviour in performance. Could this be a virus? I',ve repeatedly looked at the autobat.exe and win.ini file, I've searched the HDD and the registry for á, with no effect. Any thoughts?

zanwalk 21:04 31 Mar 03

Try this site for an online virus check:

click here

Rich84 23:36 31 Mar 03

I have run exhaustive checks with McAfee VirusScan and it all seems clear, but it hasn't explained the boot up. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

woodchip 23:41 31 Mar 03

Try this just to see if it as any affect start with start disc and type Fdisk/MBR it will reset the master boot record it will not harm your files etc.

DieSse 00:32 01 Apr 03

The RAM not "ticking over" is due to a setting in the BIOS. With the Quck Boot (or Quick Power On Test, or similar) Enabled, then all you will see is the total figure. With it Disabled, you will see the "tick-over". Go into the BIOS to change the setting.

The á is due to somthing in the autoexec.bat file or the config.sys file. you will find both these files in the root folder of the C drive. If you open them for editing, you should see immediately where the strange entry is.

Rich84 09:14 01 Apr 03

I can't access BIOS (I've never attempted it before). At boot up it says hit 'DEL' to access startup, but it just boots into safemode.
Secondly, I've scoured the autoexec.bat and config.sys files and I can't see anything wrong. I've also used the find command to look for á and nothing is coming up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…