Books & Windows XP

450223 09:49 02 Jul 03

Can any one suggests some reading on Windows XP. I have been working with XP for some time now, feel its time to format the machine and start ?afresh?
I?m worried about how I have signed on, should I have signed my self on as administrator and again as a user! I have read something about administrator sign on as being more susceptible to ?Trojan Horse? virus?

Terrahawk 10:14 02 Jul 03

providing you have a good fire wall, a good AV and use strong passwords you should be are more likley to pick up a trojan from downloading from dubious sites or p2p apps than someone hacking you and dropping a trojan.For general usage you can set up a user account but you will need administrator rights to install progs and make changes to settings etc to set up a user account go to control panel then users then follow the prompts.As for reading this may be of some use click here=

Terrahawk 10:15 02 Jul 03

oops dead link if you do a google search on xp books you will find a few options

the lone cloner 21:45 02 Jul 03

useful compact and cheap(teach yourself windows xp hodder&stoughton isbn 0-340 84990-8).

toxin 22:18 02 Jul 03

Hi 450223!

It depends how deeply you want to go into XP, but if you want something to keep you occupied, there is Alan Simpson's Windows XP Bible, all 900 pages.

Normal retail £30, I got mine from Amazon for £24; don't know what there current price is.

artist 12:05 03 Jul 03

Windows XP in Easy Steps.£10.99 PCW - probably a lot cheaper on the net somewhere.

In easy steps books really are just that!

Andybear 15:20 03 Jul 03

Amazon sell Windows XP in Easy Steps for £8.79. As artist says, the easy steps book are just that - they're great. I have a few of them.

450223 15:24 14 Jul 03

Thanks everyone, Great!

david.h 15:36 14 Jul 03

WINDOWS XP INSIDEOUT I found was an excellent book

palinka 16:26 14 Jul 03

I agree, "Easy steps" series is very good, I have several. But if you have a bookshop near you the best thing is to go and browse, starting with any little problems you have or had in the past: look it up in the index, and if you can't find it then perhaps don't choose that book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…