BOGUS/Rogue antispyware - please read

GaT7 17:54 23 Jul 04

Recently, when helping some folk on the Forum I've noticed they had installed bogus or rogue antispyware programs. I've been fooled too. One such program I recently used wanted to remove blocked sites that I had setup in IE (or were part of SpywareBlaster's blocked list) - i.e., it was finding, so called, 'false positives'. (Having said this some of the 'good' ones also get it wrong on occasion!)

While some of these bogus programs find 'false positives' to entice users to use/buy their dodgy products, others resort to aggressive/deceptive advertising, are simply inadequate, have no update feature, are rip-offs (of well-known legit programs), are adware themselves, etc., etc.

click here to see quite a comprehensive list of such programs & sites. For a list of the good/legit ones - click here. There are further links at the bottom of the first site which point you to more bogus/legit programs & sites.

The disclaimer on the first site says, "the author of these pages has no financial relationship with any of the companies whose products are discussed on these pages. I am not an employee, affiliate, representative, or other agent of any of these companies."

I suppose, in the end it's up to you to decide which ones to accept or reject. Thankfully, most of the common ones we use, like Adaware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster/Guard, PestPatrol, Spy Sweeper, CWShredder, HijackThis, etc., are the GOOD ones : )) Hope this is of use to somebody, G

Taw® 18:23 23 Jul 04

nice one Crossbow7

GaT7 18:31 23 Jul 04

Hi Taw®, please return to your post about the Firefox error you recently had click here
& tell us what worked for you. Thanks : ) G

peterleemaxwell 21:13 23 Jul 04

Well done Crossbow7 Certainly helped me out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…