On board sound probs on Abit nf7-s Ver 2 Nvidia

bw48 00:03 17 Jun 04

Any one had a problem getting the sound to work using Nvidia Soundstorm? Got W98Se as OS.. Eevery time I try to load the drivers etc the whole lot slows down then freezes.. Ram 256 CPU AMD 1700+ Would be grateful for advice etc..

hugh-265156 00:28 17 Jun 04

i dont use onboard sound but are you saying you are having problems installing or after install?

are you using drivers from a cd or from nvidia downloads?

bw48 10:37 17 Jun 04

Thanks for your interest.
I'll explain further..
Using the ABIT supplied drivers that goes with the board.
1. Setup the Mobo as normal,Then load the drivers from the CD(also tried the download from ABIT site). In control Panel the NVIDIA drivers are shown for setup etc. Clicking on this does nothing. I expected some sort of menu ?
2. At this stage the whole system starts to slow down as though the CPU is busy.. After a time the sys freezes and I have to restart. The Nvidia documents talk about Soundstorm.. and checking the installed files there is an exe by that name..
To carry on using the PC I have to unistall..
Checked out the Chat rooms on subject but have no useful threads.

hugh-265156 01:54 18 Jun 04

have you tried downloading the chipset drivers from click here or click here maybe?

bw48 10:41 18 Jun 04

Yes I went both to ABIT and NVIDIA sites and down loaded.. Still no joy.. I even uninstalled the Graphics Drivers (Nvidia)I had read that these can some times cause probs with the sound chip.. No result there.. It has been suggested that I go XP, but being bloody minded, it should work with 98 cos it says so on the box!.. have I got a brand new duff MoBo . The thought of returning it fills me with horror..I like to prove the prob is on the board..

Gongoozler 14:33 18 Jun 04

I find that onboard sound often causes problems, and when it eventually works, the quality wasn't worth the bother. I know it's probably defeatist, but a separate sound card is often the best solution.

bw48 16:13 18 Jun 04

Yes, I suppose thats the only way forward with this. Shame though. Another instance of we give you technology but dont expect it to work..
My conclusion.. Forget abit+ nvidia combo..
Thanks for all you help. Ill close this thread now..

Gongoozler 17:17 18 Jun 04

Hi bw48. I think probably the hardware is ok, but the Windows 98 support is being neglected. My Asus A7V8X-X manual says that it only supports ME, NT, 2000 and XP. I took a chance on it, and it does indeed work with Windows 98se. The onboard sound is pretty awful though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…