On-board sound problems (Avance AC97)

Maughan 16:00 02 Jan 03
  Maughan 16:00 02 Jan 03

Aplogies for the re-post but I am desperate for a cure!!

I have a new-ish MultiVision PC with the following relevant components:
~Windows XP Home
~AMD Athlon 2200+
~Videologic 5.1 surround sound speakers (ZXR 500)
~Avance AC97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

The sound was perfect until I recently unplugged the amplifier/subwoofer simply to reposition it. I very carefully reconnected all the leads (not that hard to do) and did nothing else BUT since then neither the centre nor the rear speakers have worked properly during playback.

BUT...!

The very odd thing is that ALL the speakers work fine when I run the speaker test in the "AC97 Audio Configuration" window. (And yes I have set the configuration to 6 channel/5.1 sound).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card drivers but it is no better.

I have tried updating the driver using the Device Manager Driver Update Wizard to VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) - no improvement.

I was using music files (CDs and MP3s) all the time so this sudden loss of quality sound is very annoying.

This is driving me mad!! What might be the problem, please?

Thanks in advance and Happy 2003

Maughan

RICKSPARK 21:38 04 Jan 03

sorry, dont have any ideas about your problem, but would appreciate your opinions regarding your multivision pc. - as i am seriously thinking of ordering one.
Many thanks

woodchip 21:46 04 Jan 03

You may have a dicky plug or socket I had one a short time ago and it baffled me try moving the plug in out and waggle it a bit when you have a CD playing

AMD 4 ever 23:22 04 Jan 03

Is it under warranty still? I would assume so have you tried contacting Multivision for their advise.

Iam gonna pop this back up to the top asI aint sure myself, only thing I can think of try the speakers in a friends PC, or have a real good look at the settings again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…