On-board sound card. No sound.

ordep 09:01 04 Oct 05

After reinstalling XP, I now have no sound.

Would it be something to do with drivers.

Stuartli 09:12 04 Oct 05

You are using either onboard sound or a sound card.

More details are required of your setup. If it's onboard sound then it may require re-enabling in the Bios or, if a sound card, disabling onboard sound.

In either case it is likely that you will have to reinstall the drivers.

billyliv 09:13 04 Oct 05

Hi, Yes. You need your motherboard drivers to re-enable sound. If you know your motherboard model, you can get them off the internet. Cheers, Bill

ordep 09:16 04 Oct 05

Thanks Stuartli, I'm not in front of the offending computer as yet, but shall be in about an hour. I can give you more info then. But its definitely on-board sound.

ordep 09:17 04 Oct 05

Thanks Bill, I'll have a look shortly.

Stuartli 10:50 04 Oct 05

It's audio rather than motherboard drivers that will be required - you might also have to (re)enable onboard sound in the Bios as well, but not likely.

ordep 18:21 04 Oct 05

I've d/l the audio drivers from Asus (A7A266E) but, I'm unable to install them. Were am I going wrong. I've searched the Asus site but cant find any info on the subject.

stevebabes 18:25 04 Oct 05

just a thought can you not roll back youre driver

Stuartli 18:54 04 Oct 05

XP has been reinstalled.

May be worth considering an XP Repair in future rather than reinstalling everything...:-)

The Asus appears to use the same C-Media 8738 onboard sound chipset I used to have on an Elite mobo.

It's rather good, especially in view of the fact that it also sells in PCI form from around £4-£6 and wasn't improved on that dramatically by a SoundBlaster Live! that replaced it using 2.1 INM speakers.

Try click here for the C-Media version of the drivers.

ordep 19:11 04 Oct 05

Thanks for the link Stuartli.
I'm back home again now. I'll try them on the offending computer on Thursday.

billyliv 00:24 07 Oct 05

Hi,(Stuartli) You will find that, if the sound is on board, the drivers will be on the motherboard disc. cheers, Bill.L.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…