On-board Graphics

Mastermind 14:27 14 Jul 03

I thought I'd chosen a motherboard for my next build, an Asus A7N8X. I was going to add to this an Abit GeForce FX5200.

However, someone suggested that I save money and get a card with on-board graphics, such as the Abit NF7-M.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated since this is an option I hadn't considered.

The Transporter 14:42 14 Jul 03

especially when using high demanding games. I would get a seperate g.card and i would get an Abit NF7 - S board instead. Cheaper and is more tweakable.

click here

Onboard graphics are never as good and can cause irq conflicts if alot of hardware is installed

:-)

duplo 15:01 14 Jul 03

Onboard Graphics are also not nearly as fast deicated cards, the Nforce2 comes with an MX series GF4... essentially a tweaked GF2 I believe... A separate card will be faster and if something goes wrong easy to replace.

SEASHANTY 15:12 14 Jul 03

Onboard graphics are a useful addition to the motherboard. Even if disabled they are a valuable aid to fault finding (e.g. eliminating the monitor) should your main graphics card develop a fault. Regard O/B graphics as a bonus. You can always disable them and use one of these very expensive AGP cards. I would rather read the paper than play games on a PC so I don't need a fast card anyway.

clayton 16:34 14 Jul 03

Personally i would never purchase a motherboard with onboard graphics, the board you have chosen is a very good one stick with it, if you dont play games save on the graphics card.

Mastermind 16:37 14 Jul 03

Okay, I'll stick with the A7N8X and Abit GeForce FX5200.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…