On board graphics

Madrat 19:38 19 Apr 05

I have just built my son a new pc with an MSI KM4M-L motherboard. It has on board Via/S3G unichrome graphics. What is this equivalant to if I were comparing it to an Nvida or ATi card and is it any good for gaming

Thanks

Ian

citadel 19:44 19 Apr 05

All onboard graphics are poor for games. A 6600gt is the best mid range card and will play games at a good framerate in high detail.

Madrat 19:47 19 Apr 05

thanks

helmetshine 19:48 19 Apr 05

fiatman

unless you're happy playing minesweeper or solitaire...no it's not.If your son wants to play the latest games i reckon you should go for a Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia 5950 Ultra at least.Should be able to play anything out there at the moment at reasonable framerates ,resolutions and detail level,something you're onboard graphics are just not capable of.

Madrat 19:51 19 Apr 05

looks like I need to spend more money
Where did I put that mastercard?

Madrat 19:54 19 Apr 05

How about a GeForce 4 MX4000?

Madrat 19:58 19 Apr 05

Ok

Witch is the best.

Nvida mx4000
Nvida fx5200

ATi radeon VE ddr
ATi radeon 9250 SE

helmetshine 20:57 19 Apr 05

All the cards you mentioned are budget cards and probably won't play the latest games...doom3,far cry,half life2,etc. too well.All the cards will be better than onboard graphics but won't change the PC into an all singing all dancing games machine.
If your son wants to play the latest games you'll need to get a Radeon 9800 Pro or,as citadel suggests,a Nvidia 6600gt or,poss,a ATI x700 Pro.not read any reviews of the latter card tho so don't really know how it compares.Unfortunately when it comes to playing games spending money on a good graphics card is probably more important than getting the fastest CPU possible....and a powerful card costs money.

Wish i could give you better news but if you want it to play games then you'll have to hammer your credit card again.

rubella 21:52 19 Apr 05

This will give you a good idea of how a clutch of popular cards stack up against Doom3

click here

Madrat 21:59 19 Apr 05

Have just been given a Geforce 3

That will have to do him for now if he wants extra he will have to earn it.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…