on board graphic cards

eccy92 19:35 23 Mar 04

Hello I have just bought a new graphic card it says on the installation instructions that I may have to disable the on board graphics that I have at the moment. I was just woundering if anybody could point me in the right direction and how I go about this thanks for looking David

Totally-braindead 19:38 23 Mar 04

You do this from the Bios in most computers, to get to the Bios press Delete while the computer is booting up, look for something which disables on board graphics but be very careful not to alter anything else. If you change only one thing then if you make a mistake you can restart, go back in to Bios and change it back this is why I said be careful you don't alter anything else

Totally-braindead 19:39 23 Mar 04

Actually you didn't say you had onboard graphics, I presume you do?

billyliv 19:41 23 Mar 04

Hi, First thing to do is check at the back of your computer and see if you have a graphics port near to your printer or serial ports. If there is one you have onboard graphics. If you can get access to your motherboard manual you will find instructions on how to disable your onboard graphics either by removing a jumper or by disabling in Bios. Get back to us. Cheers, Bill

eccy92 19:54 23 Mar 04

I have been inside the computer and there is nothing in The AGP Slot so I take it from that it as on board graphics. so I have to go into the bios do I and there is a option to turn of the graphics I will have a look at it thanks. I did change a card before on a differant computer that I think had onboard graphics and that installed ok without having to disable anything I think its best to follow the instuctions though don't you

citadel 22:56 23 Mar 04

I thought onboard graphics were auto disabled when a graphics card was plugged into the agp slot. If you fit a soundcard onboard sound had to be disabled in the bios.

gudgulf 01:15 24 Mar 04

The onboard graphics are not disabled as such but the card in the agp slot is given priority.This means that you should not have any problems if you don't disable the onboard graphics-----however windows will be loading the drivers for both cards which can cause problems,hence the recommendation to diasable the onboard device.

hugh-265156 02:20 24 Mar 04

not all motherboards,bios etc work the same.some will set the agp card as the boot device when its inserted if there is an agp boot from(auto) option in the bios advanced chipset menu.

when i upgraded mine,i needed to right click my onboard device in device manager and choose uninstall then shut down the computer.

insert the new card in the agp slot.

turn on the computer and enter the bios straight away then in the advanced chipset menu then i had to set "shared memory" to disabled.

save and exit the bios.

when windows starts up it should find the new card,click cancel when windows prompts you to install the drivers.then insert the cdrom and install the drivers for the new card.or download the latest versions from click here or click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…