.bmp and .jpeg on NT

hoop 16:32 08 Feb 04

I`ve been told it`s ok to use my own background files for my work pc, but they have to be .bmp, something to do with the way NT works I`ve been told. Is there any way around this to be able to use .jpeg`s?

Diodorus Siculus 16:36 08 Feb 04

If you can get irfanview installed, it has an option to set any picture that you open, as the background. It will also convert to bitmap for you from JPEG I think.

hoop 18:13 08 Feb 04

Unfortunately we`re no allowed to have any programs installed.

siouxah1 19:47 08 Feb 04

Does your works PC have paint, under accessories, on it? This will convert jpg to bmp enabling its use.

hoop 20:38 08 Feb 04

Yes it has paint, but when I convert what I thought was a reasonable sized .jpeg, 50kb, it becomes MB`s in .bmp format. Been told you have to keep it under 1mb to use it or the system discards it, which is why I wondered if there was any way of using .jpegs under NT without needing to convert.

JerryJay 23:13 08 Feb 04

Older version of irfanview does not need to install. Just unpack into a directory, click iview and it will run. .bmp is very large indeed bacause jpg is compressed (lost some details), with irfanview, you can downsample your graphics to make it smaller (but loss some quality). I do not think you can use .jpg as desktop background.

siouxah1 23:15 08 Feb 04

Sorry about that, I did not realise you had a limit.

As a suggestion....

If you have access to the file in another graphics prog, perhaps at home, resize to your works screen size in pixels (eg 1024 x 768 or whatever)and reduce colours to 256. For me this reduces a file of 3.5 mb to 857 Kb. Or thereabouts.

If your file does not have expanses of sky the colour reduction should not be too noticeable. You could even reduce the size to less than your screen size but the photo will not fill your screen.

As a matter of interest, W2k will display jpg as wallpaper as long as active desktop is chosen.

Regards Brian j

hoop 10:03 09 Feb 04

Thanks all for the suggestions, I`ll try reducing colours and making sure the file size matches the display size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…