blurry monitor

mcds01 12:34 23 Aug 04

i recently dragged my old pc out of the attic as i want to get into upgrading pcs etc and thought it would be a good place to start. Everything still works fine on it except for the monitor. At first startup the picture is fine but it rapidly becomes so blurry that the writing is illegible. Why would this happen. Is it a case for a new monitor?

Valvegrid 13:07 23 Aug 04

It sounds like some of the electronic components have deteriorated, which they do over a period of time, especially if the equipment hasn't been used for a long time. The little electrolytic capacitors are the main culprits because of their construction.

That's a roundabout way of saying get a new monitor :-)

mcds01 14:43 23 Aug 04

just as i suspected! thank you. Off to buy a new monitor now!!

spuds 16:47 23 Aug 04

If you want to find out more on monitor repairs and troubleshooting.Try this click here

Valvegrid 19:02 23 Aug 04

That's an interesting link for me, thanks, but I suspect not much use to the average user when you see the list of test equipment required.

Rwstill 19:24 23 Aug 04

It just could be your graphic card
Ralph.

Gongoozler 20:27 23 Aug 04

Graphic cards can cause blur or smearing in the horizontal direction, but not vertically. As Valvegrid correctly says, a blurred picture almost certainly means it's time for a replacement monitor. I can highly recommend the CTX VL700 £73.68 inc VAT as a very good compromise of picture quality and price click here

spuds 22:27 23 Aug 04

Try this one as well for other problems click here

CTX VL700 a very good monitor, with good aftersales back-up, plus three warranty swap-out to boot.

Valvegrid 06:45 24 Aug 04

Thanks, that's a handy site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac