blueyonder wireless drops connection

silliw 23:47 23 Oct 06

I have a 4Mb service from Blueyonder running a home wireless network of 5 pc's which has worked fine for about 12 months. Quite recently we have experienced what I think is a loss of connectivity. When I try to connect to IE it takes at least 5 attempts (open then close then re-open). In addition I have only been able to keep the connection once acquired for about 15 minutes then I lose it again. I am going a little mad as I thought the loss of connection occured each time someone logged onto the network.
My question therefore is, is there a restriction in the number of users I can have on the network or is this just a reflection of the srvice I am getting from Blueyonder in Birmingham?

Nigel

mgmcc 00:04 24 Oct 06

Are you actually running five computers wirelessly at the same time?

An 802.11g wireless router has a nominal bandwidth of 54Mbps, which in practice will be closer to 30Mbps, and that is *shared* by the computers connecting wirelessly to it. You could just be overloading the wireless connection.

In general, there shouldn't be a limit to the number of computers connected. As far as Blueyonder are concerned, they have allocated a single IP address which goes to your wireless router.

If you connect one of the computers by ethernet cable instead of wirelessly, do you still have the problem?

silliw 00:09 24 Oct 06

Yes there are times when all 5 machines are accessing the network and internet wirelessly. To add to the issue when I fire up my PDA it will also try to access the network to retrieve emails. Do you think that the issue may well be the number of wireless connections then although this has only manifest itself in the last 3 - 4 weeks. I have not tried to use a wired connection but this is not really convenient hence the wireless environment.

silliw 00:12 24 Oct 06

Forgot to mention that although I may not be able to acces the intenet, I can wirelessly access the router on my laptop and so can others when the connection appears to be down. I assumed that this confirmed that traffic between each adapter and the wireless router was sound???

Nigel

mgmcc 07:39 24 Oct 06

It does sound as though the problem isn't with the wireless network. You could try "hard resetting" the router back to the factory default settings and see if that improves things. If not, you might need to reset the Cable Modem, which involves phoning Telewest and getting them to talk you through the procedure to reset it via its web-based interface.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced