Blueyonder Spam Filtering Problems

AlanHo 09:29 03 Dec 05

Can someone please help me here - I am having problems with the blueyonder spam filtering service.

My problem is that the anti spam system is treating certain messages as spam – even though I have included their addresses in the “Allowed” list. If I select the “Delete” option they do not reach me and if I select the “TAG subject” option they are forwarded to my inbox with the subject line tagged as spam. At present I am having to leave the system set to TAG spam to ensure legitimate messages are not lost.

At blueyonder's help line suggestion I deleted the allowed list and re-entered the addresses again, I also lowered the sensitivity setting for spam - but it has not cured the problem.

Another anomaly is that the system is treating a particular company's address as spam inconsistently. I receive a weekly newsletter from this company which is treated as spam in the system but also receive regular Emails advertising special offers etc which are not treated as spam – but both from identical Email addresses.

I would like go back to having the system delete spam automatically – but cannot do so whilst items included in the “Allowed” list are being treated as spam and thus deleted.

The description of the spam filter system given by Blueyonder on their webmail site states that any addresses entered in the "Allowed" list are not filtered and are delivered straight to your inbox.

The latest reply from Blueyonder is worded as follows

Thank you for contacting the eContact team.
For the mail addresses that you have added to the whitelist, is this the Reply To: address from the headers, the From: address, or the
Return-Path: address. It needs to be the return path address that is added as this can be different to the other 2.

Mails coming through the spam filter are not only assessed on the source address, it is content as well that gives the score to mark specific mails as spam. That's why some mail from one company is marked as spam, and others are not

Unquote

I need help in determining what they mean and how I set about determining which address is which and how I reveal it. At present I have entered in the allowed list the "From" Email address shown by Microsoft Outlook.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice.

PaulB2005 09:36 03 Dec 05

This is why i never bother with Automated Spam Filtering. I've been called out to numerous cases where Spam Filtering has gone wrong and legitamate e-mails are lost.

I use PopPeeper click here to manually filter my mail and delete spam on multiple accounts before downloading into Outlook.

AlanHo 10:20 03 Dec 05

I work from home as a recruitment consultant - hence there are hundreds - if not thousands - of candidates and clients who have my Email address. I am not claiming a record - but I get hundreds of spam messages a day which I have to sort through. Having spam deleted off the server would be an ideal solution.

I have tried various anti spam systems including mailwasher - but none have been as suitable for me as the blueyonder one.

I wish to give it a try again - but need to know how to reveal the return path address for senders I wish to include in my "Allowed" list.

PaulB2005 10:25 03 Dec 05

What e-mail software are you using?

PaulB2005 10:36 03 Dec 05
  AlanHo 11:39 03 Dec 05

I am using Microsoft Outlook as stated in the original post

PaulB2005 11:44 03 Dec 05

In Outlook 2002 (you didn't state which version you are using which i why i asked again) you can open the message and then open the View Menu and select Options.

At the bottom of the Message Options box will be the Internet Headers. Scroll through this until you find the Reply-To: address.

AlanHo 01:26 04 Dec 05

I am using Outlook 2003

I need to determine how I find the "Return path address"

PaulB2005 12:14 04 Dec 05

Does the 2002 method not work in 2003 - i've found they are not very different in most things.

AlanHo 16:20 04 Dec 05

Yes - I can see the information in the header. There is not a "Reply To" listed but there is a "Return Path" which presumably means the same.

Looking at some of the wanted mail which was tagged as spam reveals that some have the same return path as their Email address. In these instances I have therefore already been using the return path in the spam filter allowed box - but it has not stopped the message from being tagged as spam.

Other messages from a particular Company have a slightly different return path for each message. The path includes a number which increases by one each time a message is sent. Hence there is not a common return path I can use unless I am allowed to substitute the symbol * for the number.

It would appear that the spam filter is clunky in the way it processes the allowed list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…