Blueyonder, Laptop, Router WOE

lom63 20:51 05 Dec 06

I GAVE UP 4MTHS AGO..How do you do it PLEASE !

I have exactly the same set up as you MA101/ME102.

Confused me totally and i gave into it.

I have a new laptop and am unable to share my existing blueyonder broadband with it,

Presently i access internet via telewest set top box wirelesssly via netgear me102 plugged into the stb and a netgear ma101 usb into my pc.

Tried Netgear WGR614 54mbps Wireless Router but i cannot fathom it.

My neighbour uses this router but he is not wirelessly linked to his main pc. His works. It must be the wireless connection between my stb and pc that is the problem because this is the one thing that differs betweenus.

Have i got the wrong router ?

Please free me from the angst of my children pushing me off the internet.

I am not a computer buff.

Thanks in anticipation

Liam

Strawballs 00:51 06 Dec 06

click here This is the router that I use with NTL STB very easy to set up and am running 1 PC wired 1 PC and 1 Laptop wireless.

click here

mgmcc 09:03 06 Dec 06

I assume that you have unplugged the Netgear me102 "wireless access point" from the set-top box and replaced it with the wireless router? In doing so, it is important that you power off the Cable Modem (which in your case will be the STB) for a couple of minutes so that it releases the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it. When rebooted, it will find the new connection and allocate a new IP address to it.

You then need to connect to the router by *ethernet cable*, access its Setup pages by typing its IP address (Netgear use either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) into your web browser and configure (a) its connection to Telewest, which is just a basic direct connection using DHCP, and (b) its wireless settings so that you can access it wirelessly.

lom63 13:44 06 Dec 06

Thanks mgmcc

The following extract is unclear to me

You then need to connect to the router by *ethernet cable*, access its Setup pages by typing its IP address (Netgear use either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) into your web browser and configure

Are you saying that the ethernet cable needs to be connected physically between router and pc. The pc is in other room and makes this a bit of a pain, if so.

Excuse my prosaicness (is that a word)
Is this the set up?
So the router will be behnd the TV into the STB?
The me102 will be no more?
And my usb ma101 will remain in my pc in 2nd room picking up the signal?
And my wirelessly enabled laptop will pick up to?

Thanks for responding so swiftly

Liam

mgmcc 14:19 06 Dec 06

<<< Are you saying that the ethernet cable needs to be connected physically between router and pc. The pc is in other room and makes this a bit of a pain >>>

The initial configuration of a wireless router is performed by connecting to it with an ethernet cable. This is due to the "chicken & egg" situation - you cannot connect to it wirelessly because it isn't configured and you cannot configure it because you cannot connect wirelessly to it. Hence the use of a cable initially.

You should actually be able to configure it by connecting it to the PC in the other room and leaving the STB disconnected. Set it up to connect with a basic connection to the STB (which you can test later) and then set up the wireless settings so that you are able to connect reliably to it and get an IP address from it. Then, with wireless access working, plug the router's WAN port into the STB and see if you can get online wirelessly.

<<< So the router will be behind the TV into the STB? >>>

Correct. The router replaces the Wireless Access Point (it incorporates its own Wireless Access Point)

<<< And my usb ma101 will remain in my pc in 2nd room picking up the signal?
And my wirelessly enabled laptop will pick up to? >>>

Yes. Before, when you connected wirelessly, your PC got the IP address that Blueyonder allocated. Because they only allocate one IP address, you can only connect a single PC to their service.

When you install a router, it gets the single IP address and, in turn allocates IP addresses in one of the ranges reserved for Local Area Networks to all of the computers connected to it, normally a 192.168.x.x address.

lom63 11:34 23 Jan 07

Stop Press

Finally found the time to do it and it has worked....except

My PC (with the netgear MA101 usb adaptor) I cannot get connected. It sees the Router but cant establish a link. IP config i think is the problem. Can i tweak this or do i need a new network card that allows the link?

The utility programme with the MA101 doesnt appear to allow me or the router to
change the IP adress. There are some greyed out areas within the settings config utility of the ma101, that if i could access might help.

Oddly enough i can connect on the pc with the usb adaptor if i plug the old netgear me102 wap into the router.The link though is intermittent.

Thanks for assistance to date

Thanks

lom63 12:06 23 Jan 07

Found this on a netgear forum. could this be the reason for the above last post?
Laptop windows XP does show 'g' and
PC windoows98 shows 'b' when connected with me102 to router.

I have settings on router to use'b and g'

"Older standard 'b' devices will not connect to the newer 'g' devices unless the router is set to 'b' only. So if you have other 'g' adapters that need to connect to the router, they will be unable to. You either have to upgrade the adapter to 'g' or leave the router to 'b' only. The last firmware for the MA101 was created before the WGT624 was released. So I doubt there will be a change in the firmware for the adapter to connect to the router in 'g and b' mode."

mgmcc 09:56 24 Jan 07

Seems a bit strange. An 802.11g WiFi adapter should be able to connect to a router operating in "B-only" mode, obviously at only 11Mbps. I haven't had a problem connecting this way.

bribar 16:59 15 Feb 07

Hi Guys & Dolls
I thought I was the only one having trouble with wireless & routers setups. My problem. Blueyonder gave away a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614 v6 TW I purchased a wireless USB adaptor. Then came the setup no problems until 2 days later when the internet connection just disappeared, reset all, okay for an hour or so. If I did some work and then went back to the internet no connection. This could happen 3-5 times during a day, drove me round the twist. I had exactly the same with a Belkin setup last year. Next step purchase a basic router, Sun Vision followed through with all the connections using RJ45 cables main computer works fine second computer no connection no matter how I tried, gave up in the end can anyone help, please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…