bluetooth v Wi Fi

laurie53 17:28 03 Jan 06

I am thinking of setting up a home network, but am not sure of the advantages of Bluetooth over WiFi and vice versa, other than range.

Anybody give me a couple of idiot pointers please?

Thanks

Laurie

mgmcc 20:51 03 Jan 06

I don't think there are any "advantages" in using Bluetooth in preference to conventional WiFi for networking.

Windows doesn't recognise a Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) as a LAN (Local Area Network) and therefore you cannot set up "Internet Connection Sharing" with the two PCs connected by Bluetooth.

Data transfer over Bluetooth is only 1Mbps compared with 11Mbps for 802.11b and 54Mbps for 802.11g

I've tried Bluetooth networking for "fun", but that really is all it was; it isn't practical, although it might have a use if you needed to copy a couple of files between computers and had no other networking available.

dms05 12:28 04 Jan 06

Well said mgmcc. It's exactly my experience as well. I also use the free version of 'Air Defense Personal' on my laptop click here and it really gets worried about security when I have bluetooth enabled.

Use WiFi, and if you have a laptop with a mini-pci slot then buy a card to fit that. It's the most elegant current solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…