Bluetooth icon disappeared in control panel

Amer 20:36 19 May 10

Hi everyone

I had a Bluetooth adapter fitted into a USB port on my desk top (Windows XP), when I had problems, I assumed the adapter had failed and got a new one, but still no Bluetooth connectivity with new one. Then when I went control panel, the Bluetooth icon is missing, there is just a gap where it used to be! Any ideas and solutions greatly appreciated

Regards

Amer

STREETWORK 20:41 19 May 10

Check in device manager to see if it appears there...

Amer 21:02 19 May 10

Hi

In device manager there is a Bluetooth device showing (says Bluetooth radios and sub folders for generic Bluetooth radio and Microsoft Bluetooth enumerator. At present I have the Bluetooth adapter plugged in but I have no Bluetooth icon on the bottom right of my screen or as an icon in the control panel

Amer)

STREETWORK 22:01 19 May 10

Go here and follow instructions

click here

KremmenUK 07:00 20 May 10

Not all Bluetooth dongles are known by the Microsoft Bluetooth stack. If yours isn't then the Control Panel icon will disappear.

You can use the software provided with the dongle but this is often a poor substitute for the Microsoft stack.

The secret is to add your dongle to the Windows XP bth.inf file.

You need to get your hardware PID so you can copy and paste an existing device line and then change it to match your device PID. Once complete the inbuilt Bluetooth will recognise the device and setup and configure your dongle.

There are a few tutorials around the web if you Google.

KremmenUK 07:02 20 May 10

This one seems to cover it :

click here

Amer 08:24 20 May 10

Thank you everyone. I will follow the instructions above and hopefully will resolve the issues. Thank you once again

Amer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now