spikeychris 18:12 11 Feb 04

Has anyone any experience using Bluetooth in a "hostile" environment? I've installed a BT mouse and keyboard and then shoved the transceiver and tower in a cupboard with a server and 6 rack mounted machines all humming away.

The monitor is twelve feet away and recognised the board and mouse for a short while then keeps loosing them, admittedly there is the machines, a router a server a digital camera and a shed load of Cat5 cables in line of site but I thought it didn't matter??

Well to be honest I didn't even think about whether it mattered.

Forum Editor 18:19 11 Feb 04

although twelve feet is well within its capabilities - I've used a Bluetooth headset and phone that were separated by two floors and about 30 feet.

Anything that broadcasts on a radio frequency might have a detrimental effect on the crosstalk between Bluetooth devices, but a server and a rack of machines shouldn't be doing that, and in any case I used a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse within three feet of a wireless router without any ill-effects. Is the cupboard door particularly dense - a firedoor perhaps?

Sir Radfordin 18:25 11 Feb 04

Can't you get bluetooth stuff that will work 200-300m?? Not that short range surely?

It could well be that something is interfering with the range - try opening the door and see what that does. Some firedoors have sheets of metal inside which would block out a fair bit of the frequency!

spikeychris 18:26 11 Feb 04

"Is the cupboard door particularly dense" no there basically MFI setups, theres an air conditioning unit in there as well. Are you saying then FE it should work?

"Is the cupboard door particularly dense" should read "Is the guy who installed this kit particula........

Sir Radfordin 19:08 11 Feb 04

It should work, but that doesn't mean it will. Why not move the keyboard/mouse closer and walk away until it does stop working.

Scan had something about one keyboard/mouse on Bluetooth that stoped everything else Bluetooth from working but can't find it now.

spikeychris 19:13 11 Feb 04

Tried that Sir Rad and it worked even when I shoved it the cupboard. Think I'm snookered with this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…