Blue screen on XP SP2 due to AVG 7.0?

phil.s 21:04 31 Mar 05

I've just installed AVG 7.0, ADAWARE SE and a Netgear WG511 wireless card in my new Toshiba Laptop (XP SP2 home) which resulted in a blue screen with references to 'sysaudio.sys':-

ID: 1003 Source: System Error Version: 5.2 Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG Message: Error code %1, parameter1 %2, parameter2 %3, parameter3 %4, parameter4 %5. Explanation A blue screen (Stop error) was reported. The message contains details about the error. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred. User Action No user action is required. Event Type: Error Event Source: System Error Event Category: (102) Event ID: 1003 Date: 30/03/2005 Time: 23:02:27 User: N/A Computer: Description: Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f1f11f58, parameter3 f12b8940, parameter4 00000000.

The error reply from microsoft indicated the cause was a device driver problem.

Is this likely to be related to the AVG/Roxio issue I have read about or does anyone have any other ideas?

Regards,

Phil

gudgulf 22:33 31 Mar 05

The first thing to do is uninstall all three and start again so you can identify which is causing the problem.My money is on the Netgear wireless card being the source of the problem so reinstall that first and see what happens.

If that works ok then try AVG 7 next.......Adaware is the least likely to cause any conflicts as it only runs when you choose to start it so you would not see a problem with it unless you were running a scan.

phil.s 23:41 31 Mar 05

Thanks gudgulf.

Something I didn't mention which may be important is that the Adaware program was performing a scan when the blue screen occurred so is the smart money on that?

Also, I have been on the netgear website and there is a new driver available for the wireless card (the current one is not digitally signed!) which 'removes some hardware compatibility issues'.

The blue screen has only happened once so maybe a wait and see policy is best?

Thanks,

Phil.

Strawballs 00:35 01 Apr 05

If it does happen again when you run Adaware scan uninstall it and use a different one Spybot search and destroy for example I have seen quite a few recomended on this site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…