Blue Screen and were the hell is my BIOS

acceptmyname 13:38 20 Mar 11

Hi I have a few problems with my pc given to me by my friend. (they could all be related)

1st problem

When I boot up the pc beeps 3 times 1 longish and 2 short beeps, I have looked this up on the internet and have conflicting information, One website says this is Cmos related and another says Graphics card related, I have updated my graphics card drivers, removed and re-seated the graphics card but have done nothing with Cmos yet as I am unsure about this.

2nd problem

The PC BLue screens alot, I have ran Memtest and it came up with all kinds of problems so I am assuming I will need new memory.

3rd problem

I cannot seem to access the bios when i press the F10 key it send me to a screen with information but it is as if it is not fully typed like the information seems to stop halfway through a word (I know that is vague I will get more info as you guys need it)

Also if this is any help my friend told me that one of the hard drives installed on the pc was actually a external hard that stopped working so he removed it from the case and installed into the computer as a slave drive, I have asked him if the problems started them he said he didnt notice as by that time he had a Alienware Pc so stopped using this one.

PC specs

Intel core2 quad
Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia GTS 260
Soundblaster sound card
4gb Ram

Any help much appreciatted

northumbria61 14:01 20 Mar 11

Try accessing the BIOS by tapping/holding down the DELETE key as the PC is starting.

As an alternative to running Memtest try this -

If you have more than one stick of memory remove all but one stick of memory, try rotating through each stick.

Try one stick of memory in each slot.

If you're able to get the computer to boot with one or more of the sticks of memory it's likely you're dealing with some bad memory. Try to identify what stick of memory is bad and replace it.

acceptmyname 14:06 20 Mar 11

Thanks,

I have tried the delete key this just restarts the comp, As in boot up I get a screen with option,

I have just been choosing start computer with window 7.

The memory to be honest as I cgot the pc for nothing I am prepared to buy new without much testing, As a friend of mine will also sell me £100 of pcworld vouchers for £50 so I wll just buy whatever memory i need there.

northumbria61 14:13 20 Mar 11

Every motherboard manufacturer is using a different key / key combination that allows you to access the BIOS. However, the most frequently used key to access the BIOS is the “DEL” key. You simply have to press the DEL key on boot up BEFORE the operating system selection screen. Tip: Simply turn on your PC and immediately start pressing DEL repeatedly until a blue screen appears. When you see the blue screen, you’re in the BIOS (short for basic input/output system).

Most frequently used keys for accessing the BIOS:
•DEL (ASUS)
•F1, F2, F10, F12
•CTRL + ALT + ESC
•ESC

northumbria61 14:16 20 Mar 11

You are not using a wireless keyboard by any chance? This means that if you're using a USB keyboard, it could be impossible to access BIOS. In that case, you'd need to connect an older PS/2 keyboard to your PC to access BIOS.

acceptmyname 14:21 20 Mar 11

Sorry northumbria for some reason I totally miss read your 1st post, I somehow read "press esc" instaed of what you actually typed "press delete"

I will try this when I get home tonight eerrrrr do you have any thoughts or suggestions on my other problems.

acceptmyname 14:21 20 Mar 11

Sorry northumbria for some reason I totally miss read your 1st post, I somehow read "press esc" instaed of what you actually typed "press delete"

I will try this when I get home tonight eerrrrr do you have any thoughts or suggestions on my other problems.

northumbria61 14:45 20 Mar 11

You are right about the conflicting "error code beeps" - are you looking at the correct list for your BIOS error codes ie; AMI, Phoenix etc.?

Have you installed any new hardware recently?

Also "one of the hard drives installed on the pc was actually a external hard that stopped working so he removed it from the case and installed into the computer as a slave drive" - You need to establish, did it stop working as an external hard drive (wouldn't connect or not recognised?) or has it failed?

If it is an older IDE drive which has been put into your PC as a "slave" drive are the jumper settings correct? ( you don't need to change anything for SATA drives)

acceptmyname 14:51 20 Mar 11

Ok I will have a look at the error code beeps for MSI G31,

As far as I am aware the hard drive would not connect as it it would not power up so he (his word) "Took it out of the case and installed it in the pc" it is a SATA drive and looks to be install correctly, Although it is connected to the other original hard drive, Could I not just connect this independantly.

thanks for the help mate

northumbria61 15:00 20 Mar 11

A lot of the "beep" error codes do suggest a problem with the Graphics card click here

Are you able to try this in another PC or do you have a local computer repair shop that would test it for you?

You could try looking at your Display settings - go to Control Pnale - Display - Change Display Settings - try "lowering" the resolution. This is only a suggestion as I am not sure if it will make any difference or help towards a solution - make a note of your settings and you can always reverse the settings if need be.

acceptmyname 15:05 20 Mar 11

I will see if I can install my gfx card in my brothers machine,

Just out of interest would the pc be able to play games if it had a gfx card problem as I have been able to play black ops with a good fPS. (when the pc is not blue screening that is)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…