Blue screen, recover files

Ade_1 22:17 21 Nov 10

Hi,

I have been asked if I can assist someone with their laptop (Dell Latitude D520) that just permanently blue screens. They want to recover their files but I am not sure on the method of doing this.

The laptop constantly blue screens and you can't get into safe mode or anything.

I can't find anything specific to be honest, I have searched for a considerable amount of time on Google but can't find an answer.

Am I right in saying you can connect the hard drive to a caddy and then to another machine and attempt to recover the files that way? I'm also presuming some form of data recovery software would be required?

I suspect the hard drive is completely gone, but not sure if the data would be at all recoverable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Aidan

Nontek 22:38 21 Nov 10

Your assumption is correct, and a caddy is a good idea - have a look at the thread entitled "Documents and pictures gone missing" to get recovery ideas.

Jollyjohn 11:06 22 Nov 10

If you dont have a caddy you could use a Linux live cd, I use Puppy Linux.
Download Puppy Linux and burn it to a cd, as an .iso file. This will give you a bootable cd. Boot from this cd and accept the default settings. Once it has booted and the desktop appears there is a series of icons in the bottom left of the screen. The hard drive in the laptop will be listed as sda1 - click on it to open or "mount" it
You should be able to see all the files on the hard drive - navigate to documents and settings and look for the data you want.
If you now plug in a usb stick you will be able to copy and paste the data to it.

Ade_1 12:19 22 Nov 10

Cheers Nontek - I needed some reassurance on that! Thanks!

Interesting idea Jollyjohn, I may give that a go first and see if I can access it that way. It will certainly be a lot easier than purchasing a caddy and some data recovery software. I already have a live CD of Ubuntu so I'll try it on that.

Thanks very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced