Blue screen - PC won't boot

dvdcompare 19:54 18 Jan 09

Okay, brief bit of background. My Mum is using an old PC I built about 8 years ago. It was, until today, running Windows 2000 Professional. Over the past couple of weeks, the following problems have happened:

* Got a new printer and it wouldn't print from Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. Nothing on the Microsoft Knowledge Base worked so I replaced IE with Firefox and it printed fine

* PC started beeping when you turned it on and didn't boot. I opened the PC and re-seated the memory and it worked

* Lots of random error messages started appearing and the PC reboot itself every now and again. Always wants to scan the C: drive upon booting

* Tried to replace the Operating System today with Windows XP Service Pack 2 via formatting the hard drive and doing a complete new install

* During the install, around 30 different files couldn't be copied as part of the install so I skipped these files

* Nearing the end of the install, it said Windows XP couldn't install "System"

* Now when you boot, after the initial memory checking and device screen, a blue screen comes up with this error message:

**STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF9E64528,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

Which is a nice helpful error. The accompanying text mentions checking the hard drive (which when I check it during the DOS prompt it says the hard drive is fine, and to check any new devices that have been added (no new devices have been added).

So, is this PC now not worth repairing? I have seen a new base unit for £185 from PC World:

Shall I just get this and forget about trying to fix this PC? It's annoying because my Mum only wants the PC for Internet, E-mail and Microsoft Word and for that purpose this PC is just fine!

Thanks.

dvdcompare 19:59 18 Jan 09

And also, why during the install, would it not have been able to copy all of the files?

MAT ALAN 20:01 18 Jan 09

click here
this may help ,sorry if you have already gone over most of the issues detailed in the link...

dvdcompare 20:06 18 Jan 09

Blimey, that's a long old list! I presume it has something to do with my memory due to the previous problems and it missing files during the installation process.

dvdcompare 10:01 19 Jan 09

Any other suggestions without me going through all of the above?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 19 Jan 09

* Lots of random error messages started appearing and the PC reboot itself every now and again. Always wants to scan the C: drive upon booting

Sounds like a dying hard drive change the hard drive

During the install, around 30 different files couldn't be copied as part of the install so I skipped these files

* Nearing the end of the install, it said Windows XP couldn't install "System"

bad XP CD or disk drive. clean CD and drive / use a different CD drive

Attempt a reinstall but don't skip files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…