Blue screen often when shutting down

FatboySlim71 10:35 18 Sep 09

For a little bit now, but not everytime but often when I am shutting down my PC, I get a blue screen with the below details.

ClassPNP.SYS-Address 8CEA9D41 base at 8CEA4000, Datestamp 49e01ee9

Stop 0x0000008E
(0xC0000005, 0x8CEA9D41, 0X8DF1F7F8 0X00000000

I was wondering what could be the cause of it. I have Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2.

Thanks in advance.

OTT_Buzzard 11:28 18 Sep 09

See if there's anything that looks familiar in this:

click here

FatboySlim71 11:52 18 Sep 09

Thanks OTT_Buzzard, I'll have a look through. Thanks again : )

FatboySlim71 12:09 18 Sep 09

I have had a look through them but none of them were exactly what I was getting on my PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 18 Sep 09

disable write-behind caching
Go into My Computer and enter into the properties of you hard drive c:
then HARDWARE TAB
Select your hard drive then hit properties at the bottom of that TAB.
click on DISK PROPERTIES TAB
there will be a chech box that says
"enable write behind cahe"
UNcheck that box

FatboySlim71 17:59 18 Sep 09

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I appreciate the help.

I'll try your suggestions and I'll update when I have had time to see if the blue screens have stopped. The trouble is that 50 percent of the time maybe a little more I get the blue screen when I shut down the PC and the other times I don't.

FatboySlim71 14:34 19 Sep 09

So far so good. I have shut down my pc 3 times and I have not had a blue screen. I'll leave this topic for a week before ticking resolved.

Thanks to everyone who has replied but especially to fruit bat, I really appreciate the help.

FatboySlim71 09:12 20 Sep 09

I have just shutdown my PC now and got a blue screen.

I did however have my external hard drive which is connected to my PC by ESATA, switched on when I was shutting down my PC, whether this had anything to do with it?

I'll see if I get the blue screens appearing again when I don't have the drive switched on.

I have switched the 'enable write cache' back on has I was finding the computer/hard drive a bit sluggish after switching it off.

FatboySlim71 09:17 21 Sep 09

I had another blue screen while shutting down my PC last night.

I was trying to think of any programs running that may be the cause and I remembered I had installed a few weeks ago a program that is similar to Window's safely remove (it has more options to Window's own). I have uninstalled this to see if the blue screens stop.

I'll keep this topic updated.

FatboySlim71 23:51 03 Oct 09

Since un-installing the 'program that is similar to Window's safely remove' I have not had a blue screen when shutting down.

Thanks to everyone who replied, its much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now