Blue Screen on newly built PC

NatMU1 19:24 06 Nov 05

I have just built a new PC and when i try to install Windows, I get a
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C8163c, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) error code.

My friend has run some diagnostic programs, and it turns out one of my memory modules is faulty, but the other is fine (and works in both memory card slots, so I don't THINK it is a problem with my motherboard).

I've swopped graphics cards to see if that's the problem, tried both my CD-RW/DVD-RW drives to see if using the Windows disc in there makes any difference (including previous versions of Windows) etc etc and still can't figure out what's wrong (and nor can my friend who is trained in sorting out PC problems!)

I think that after all these tests, it is likely to either be my hard drive or my motherboard (the diagnostic tests show no problems with my hard drive however)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated...

I have a Gigabyte GA-8I915PL-G motherboard, Intel Pentium 4 630 CPU, 1Gb 2x512Mb Corsair DDR400/PC3200 Memory, Seagate Barracuda 80 GB IDE HDD (about a year or so old).

Many thanks in advance

Nat

Diodorus Siculus 19:30 06 Nov 05

Walibe.com - FAQ
"· Q – I get the 0x0000007b (0xf7c8163c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) (blue screen) when trying to boot into windows or install anything.

A – Microsoft will try and point you towards a faulty drive or virus. We know however (to our cost) that this is more likely to be a fault with the IDE cable so you should try replacing that before purchasing another drive."
click here

keith-236785 19:33 06 Nov 05

a simple search on google picked up this lot click here=

have a look through and see if any of it helps

mentions a boot sector virus and maybe a faulty hard drive, also mentions this problem occuring when winxp install is interupted and then restarted.

too much to go into here

if you donr have any luck, come back and let us know what you have tried

SANTOS7 19:36 06 Nov 05

I am puzzled as it seems you have the answer to your problem "and it turns out one of my memory modules is faulty" have you tried to install windows with the memory module that works..

PaulB2005 19:55 06 Nov 05

"My friend has run some diagnostic programs, and it turns out one of my memory modules is faulty, but the other is fine (and works in both memory card slots, so I don't THINK it is a problem with my motherboard)."

then...

"I think that after all these tests, it is likely to either be my hard drive or my motherboard (the diagnostic tests show no problems with my hard drive however)"

If one of your memory modules is faulty does removing it stop the crashing?

NatMU1 20:40 06 Nov 05

Ah, I forgot to mention that I have run anti-virus software to see if I have a virus - none present, and I have taken out the faulty memory module, and run Windows setup again and still the dreaded blue screen...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 06 Nov 05

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

woodchip 20:45 06 Nov 05

Just a Suggestion, Remove all unnecessary Hardware to load Windows any extra cards or modems, only have one stick memory one hard drive and CD drive plus graphics card

NatMU1 20:48 06 Nov 05

...Plus, I have taken out the fauly memory module and same problem, and tried different cables

NatMU1 20:51 06 Nov 05

My hard drive is currently blank with partitions and formatted, so i cannot do the Windows repair thing - though I have tried anyway.
When I put the Windows CD in, it loads all its bits and bobs, but before it gives me the option of installing Windows, it falls over, every time (gives me that error message)

I have taken everything out of my PC so that only memory, hard drive, CD drive and graphics card remain, but still the same problem

NatMU1 12:47 07 Nov 05

Somone has suggested to me that my CD-ROM may need to be in the IDE1 slot on my motherboard (apparantly it says so in the manual), and to change the GigaRAID setting from RAID to ATA...

Do you think that will work? And is this setting in the BIOS, because I can't say that I have seen that anywhere.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…