Blue screen ilegal operation in win98

mammak 17:41 16 Apr 04

Hi i hope it's possible for you to help as i havent much to go on,my partner's daughter has just tried to install AOL9 ON a machine that has above windows 20gb hard drive 32mb ram,
she got so far into the run then a blue screen came up with ilegal operation' on reboot she says there is only a normal beep it loads up as normal stops at this screen she assures me there are no more text on the screen, i ask her to go to safe mode and and try and rid anything to do with AOL but she says it wont work ? we are keeping in touch by text so it might be a long haul.Regards Mammak
ps. may i add she knows less than i about comps'
and know very little lol

hugh-265156 17:59 16 Apr 04

if they cannot get into safe mode its a reinstall methinks may be the easiest option.

mammak 18:12 16 Apr 04

Thanks huggyg71 i was thinking along those lines myself' but am not sure if she understands safe mode i will get back thanks for your response.

hugh-265156 18:19 16 Apr 04

does she live far from you mammak?

may be easier to pop over and have a look yourself than try and explain over text messages what to do.

you will end up pulling your hair out :-)

User-312386 18:29 16 Apr 04

32mbram

no wonder it wont work

hugh-265156 18:31 16 Apr 04

well spotted madboy33©®

The minimum system requirements for installing AOL 9.0 on your PC are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME or Windows XP.
Processor: Pentium-class; minimum speed as recommended for your operating system (e.g. 266MHz or above for Windows XP)
RAM: 64 MB or above (128MB recommended).
Hard disk space: 128 MB or above
Screen resolution: 800x600 and 256 colours or greater
Connection: Any of the following: 28.8 Kbps modem or faster; Broadband (DSL or cable); ISDN; or TCP/IP (LAN connections)

mammak 18:35 16 Apr 04

huggyg71 lol no she dosent but lives with my partners ex wife however i phoned her mobile from the landline tut tut' and it seems safemode loads up s/f on each corner no start button' and the ilegal operation message on the screen so it not looking good eh.
madboy33©® yep i know i did say to her that she would need at least 63mb for AOL but alas she never listend.
Thanks again for your responses

hugh-265156 18:44 16 Apr 04

no start button?? oh dear :-(

what happens if she presses the windows key on the keyboard,does the start menu appear?

if so then try to get to add remove programs and uninstall aol.

ps.total guess as i know nothing about win 98 but scanreg /restore command from dos may help.click here

User-312386 18:59 16 Apr 04

now thats what i call trouble

tell her to reboot and tap F8 whilst booting and select safemode WITHOUT networking

mammak 20:50 16 Apr 04

Thanks again huggyg71 i have phoned again (costing me a fortune this lol) with advice regarding windows key an to navigate to add/remove' to think its only on 2 years since i ran 98se i have forgetten all they layout (big win xp pro now dont know blue screens now me)
madboy33©® thanks to you also for your interest
but there doesnt seem to be a start button in safe mode hence huggyg71 advice regarding win key navigation to add/remove.thanks again to you both for your help i will keep you posted' but i think failing huggyg71 's advice it might mean a reinstall of windows. regards Mammak

BRY47 21:42 16 Apr 04

At least 128 RAM but 256 is recomended for AOL9.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…