Blue screen help please

dnjl 17:18 21 Nov 11

Hi - I have a laptop. Windows Home. When I turn it on it seems OK until it gets to starting up Windows. The screen goes black (as always and the coloured big "W" comes up with little lights going back & forth under it. Then instead of going into windows it flashes a blue screen with white writing on it - then goes back to starting up again. The blue screen flashes on and off so quick it is impossible to read it.

The white writing is up in the top left of the screen and takes up about 1 quarter of the screen.

birdface 17:22 21 Nov 11

Try ans see if it will start in safe mode with networking.

dnjl 00:22 22 Nov 11

How do I start in safe mode please?

Do I have to press something before it gets to try and start in Windows?

onthelimit1 09:07 22 Nov 11

Tap F8 as soon as it starts booting. that will givwe you advanced options. One is safe mode, another is to stop machine rebooting after a blue screen - this allows you to read what the message is (they can be very confusing). if you can start in safe mode, try safe mode with networking and download Bluescreenview. This little programme give clearer info as to the cause of the crash.

PcTestCard.co.uk 08:04 23 Nov 11

I would suggest we load the previous working hardware profile first before the safe mode.

We can press the F8 key when PC just been powered on, then select from the boot menu the LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION and hit enter. If still the blue screen problem, we can use F8 key again and select SAFE MODE this time.

If we selected the safe mode before the Last Know Good Configuration(LKGC) option, we won’t be able to load the last working hardware profile anymore since the safe mode will erase that profile.

So the easiest way is run the LKGC option before the safe mode.

Hope this helps. Bill Tech Manager WPTinc

dnjl 17:24 26 Nov 11

Thanks to all. Will try F8 first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…