Blue Screen and Explorer not responding

Ashrein 18:16 05 Dec 05

Yesterday I set my wifes PC (Windows ME)up so it could receive the internet through a wireless network,this went ok but when I went onto Microsoft update site there were lots od downloads to do,which I downloaded.
Restarted the computer as it said to do,I then got a blue screen saying 'Exception OD has occurred @ 0028:C001B010 in VxD NDIS(01)+ 0000378C it may be possible to continue press any key' when I press any key PC loads to windows but with a white screen saying 'Restore ctive Desktop'I click on this and PC freezes,so I press ctrl-alt-del and box says 'explorer not responding'click on end task and windows loads,but then when I click on any programme it all starts again PC freezes,and I go through the same procedure.
Any help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 05 Dec 05

Reboot to safe mode (F8 after POST screen.)

To restore your computer settings from an earlier time:

1. Click the Start button.
2. Point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3. Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
4. Click a day on the calendar, click the restore point description, and then click Next.
5. Make sure you have closed all your files and open programs, and then click OK to close the dialog box.
6. Click Next.

Your system will revert to its previous settings, your time will return to its usual dimensions, and you can go full speed ahead.

Ashrein 18:27 05 Dec 05

Tried this but there were no restore points.
Thanks

€dstowe 18:31 05 Dec 05

Things aren't looking good. Do you have any backups of your data or, better, the full system?

Ashrein 18:35 05 Dec 05

Got Windows ME disc, but when I put this in and click on view disc PC again freezes,and cannot start this disc in safe mode as there is no CD drive.

VoG II 18:37 05 Dec 05

Set the PC to boot from the CD drive click here

Restart with the ME CD in the drive - you should get an option to repair.

Ashrein 18:52 05 Dec 05

Thanks ,I will try that later,just going to get my tea.

Ashrein 11:34 06 Dec 05

Re-installed ME,has solved the problem of 'Explorer not responding'but not the blue screen on start up saying 'Exception OD in VxD',I have done a bit of searching on Microsoft web site and I beleive this to be a Virtual Display Driver problem,but can't find any info on how to solve this problem,anyone any ideas.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…