Blue Screen every 15 minutes

panyards 10:33 20 Nov 07

My computer running XP Pro has suddenly started failing with Error code 77 (normally). On closer examination I discover it will run faultlessly in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode only fails when 'idle' after 15/16 minutes. The Blue Screen is preceeded by disc activity for 3-4 seconds. If I am using the machine it performs quite normally and yet attempting a virus scan and nothing else has resulted in the Blue Death.
Please someone Help.

anskyber 10:37 20 Nov 07

Have you got anything which is set to "check" or cut in after 15 minutes. Eg checking your mail box or a screensaver?

panyards 10:55 20 Nov 07

I've turned off Screen Saver and Power options to shut down HDD's. The mail is set to auto send/receive every 5 mins. Have I missed something??

2neat 12:45 20 Nov 07

Backup all your files quick!

panyards 13:35 20 Nov 07

I have done already but your response sounds ominous. Do you suspect a HDD failure on the way??

Scillonia 13:57 20 Nov 07

Hi, are the any entries in the event viewer? (start\run\eventvwr)

panyards 15:42 20 Nov 07

Hi Scillonia, yes the're are quite a lot of events just before an Error entry which has the details of the stop and parameter numbers. Are the events just before the stop event of any significance, the event properties don't seem to suggest a problem, but I confess I don't know their significance.

rossgolf 16:26 20 Nov 07

is this the blue screen of death of jst a blue screen....
does it have an error message in which you can take a picture of or write down to help us help you

panyards 18:25 20 Nov 07

Yes I've got a picture but I'm struggling on how to put a link in this text. Sorry I'm probably being thick and it will be obvious when you tell me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now