Blue screen errors

Schmooziphisus 10:49 12 Sep 04

Hi,
I have a problem that every time i start up my computer I get a blue screen and have to restart. This only occurs when my computer is booted from cold and will happen between 3-10 times before the computer becomes stable. Sometimes the computer won't actually get into windows before crashing and sometimes it says 'cmos checksum error - defaults loaded'. The main errors stated in the blue screen are:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (where it sometimes makes reference to ndis.sys or nv4_mini.sys) -> this is the most common error
IRQ_NOT_EQUAL
BAD_POOL_CALLER
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (with win32k.sys)

I have checked out other responses to this problem and not found a solution that works for me yet.

This is what I have tried:
Running norton speed disk, disk doctor, win doctor, running chkdisk, virus scans, updated windows, updated bios, updated mouse, printer, graphics.

My specs are:
XP Athlon XP 2000
Gigabyte G7VA motherboard
512MB DDR
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP SP2
any other specs needed let me know

And this problem has only happened with the recent install of windows, it has not happened before May with the same hardware/software set up.

Thanks

rawprawn 11:02 12 Sep 04

Try running a system file check, Start/Run, type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) you may need your XP Disc

rawprawn 11:05 12 Sep 04

click here may be worth a read.

Schmooziphisus 11:42 12 Sep 04

Hi, thanks for your speedy respone rawprawn.

I tried running that scan and it took a while and afterwards didn't come up with any prompts or anything? I take it that means i am okay in that respect?

I'm not convinced its a bios error seeing that only happens when its been restarting a few times.

rawprawn 11:54 12 Sep 04

If there were no prompts for your disc the system files will be OK. I am at a loss to offer other suggestions, maybe someone more knowledgable can help.

Androcles 12:01 12 Sep 04

I had this problem about 12 months ago,it turned out to be the battery on my motherboard.You could replace this, they are fairly cheap and its not difficult.I wear a pair of surgical rubber gloves when I mess around inside the case.Regards.

Androcles 12:04 12 Sep 04

I forgot to tell you,when you have replaced the battery you must then enter the BIOS and check the settings,particularly the time setting.Set the correct time,save the settings and exit the BIOS.

Schmooziphisus 11:13 13 Sep 04

I'm afriad changing the battery didn't prevent the problem.

anyone else have any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:49 13 Sep 04

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
click here

Check sum MY PC does this occasionally. If checksum error and defaults loaded your PC will probably be running slow.

You may need to go into BIOS and rest several things like CPU speed, parallel port setting to ECP+EPP, Boot order etc.

Schmooziphisus 16:24 14 Sep 04

Okay well the bios is fine - there aren't even that many options to change stuff that makes a significant difference anyway.

Tried updating network card etc but still not great. It is now crashing less like just once rather than about 5 times but still getting the IRQL error.

Androcles 23:00 15 Sep 04

This thread might be some help:-click here
Hardware Analysis - Forum - driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…