Blue screen error message on xp upgrade

crumbdias 14:44 02 Apr 04

I am trying to upgrade from w98se to xp pro. I have tried formatting the hard drive then upgrading to xp but still get an error message stating it will not carry on with upgrade incase there is damage. It says you have to restart the pc (which you have to do from the tower). Every time i try to load xp i get the same message. I am running a k7s5a mobo, 2400+xp cpu, geforce 4 graphics card, 320 sdram, 20 gig quantam fireball h/d. Any help would be much appreciated

medicine hat 15:13 02 Apr 04

Does the message give any indication of the problem being encountered?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:17 02 Apr 04

Have you run a scandisk to see if the hdd has errors on it?,are u upgradeing or have you the full xp cd?.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:30 02 Apr 04

I would say before you upgrade make sure you get the relevant patches for the blaster worm and so on and install them before you go online otherwise you will catch it straight away.

Regards.

ened 16:58 02 Apr 04

It probably means XP doesn't like one of your devices.
Try disconnecting everything but the essentials then installing.
I tried installing XP on a machine recently and could not get it to take. The only thing left was the cdrom, which was old, but I figured as it was reading the disc that the programme would accept it.
I changed it and it went on like a dream.

crumbdias 11:47 04 Apr 04

Hi
Sorry I haven't responded but this is the first chance I have had. (medicine hat) The screen doesn't really say exactly whats wrong.(a nickname)I have run scandisk and everything is fine. (ened) I haven't tried disconnecting anything yet but will soon. Will let you know how it goes. Question tho could the hard drive be too old?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…