Blue screen and drivers.

Craig-289433 22:15 09 Sep 03

When loading Windows 98SE I get the dreaded blue screen of death twice and then windows loads fine. Now I am assuming this is a driver problem with one of the drivers it is loading on startup. Is there any way of finding out which driver is causing this problem.

Valvegrid 22:20 09 Sep 03

I think if you keep pressing F8 while Windows is loading you'll come to the DOS menu screen, from memory there is an option to load each stage one at a time till you come across the problem.

Worth a try.

Paul.

Craig-289433 23:41 09 Sep 03

It is coming up with the error "An exception has occurred at 0028:C00700C1 in VxD VNETBIOS(01) + 000009B1. This was called from 0028:C024C5D5 in VxD VMM(13) + 000005D5"

Valvegrid 06:52 10 Sep 03

Yes, it's a driver.

Seeing as you can get into Windows try clicking on Start>Run then type sfc then click OK. This will have an option to run a complete System File Check so Windows will check itself and any files that are missing it will ask for the Windows 98SE CD ROM, so be read to feed it.

The other alterative is to re-load Windows over the old one, again it will replace anything that is missing, but it's a bit more long winded.

Paul.

Craig-289433 12:47 10 Sep 03

I thought so, but is there a way of logging the startup, so that you can see what windows is actually loading, when the error occurs.

The blue screen actually comes up twice, so have a feeling it is the display adapter, but continues to load correctly after.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…