blue screen of death but only briefly

tugtac 13:39 23 Sep 09

for no apparent the blue screen of death appears but only for a second and then my computer re boots.
I cannot get the reported fault written down because it does not stay on the screen long enough, only about 1 sec!
I am running xp pro, 2gb memory
there does not seem to be any pattern to when it decides to crash.

Audio~~Chip 13:44 23 Sep 09

Try out a memory stick in the USB port, if it doesn't work then I would say your Power Supply is faulty or you need a bigger one. Re later only if you have upgraded say a graphics card.

is your machine a branded make and if yes what make and model like Dell with Service Tag number.

Have you installed anything new recently to just before this problem started happening maybe. Check all your drivers in device manager. Look for Yellow Exclamation marks and post back with any problems their.

in Device manager, right click on Disk Drives and note down your HDD model Number listed, maybe a HDD test may be a good idea.

tugtac 15:16 23 Sep 09

thanks, tried different power unit, no joy, will try a memory stick next, thanks
hugo

cap46 16:39 23 Sep 09

what you need to do is go into control panel click on system go to advanced settings then click on startup and recovery,on the second box down where it says system failure untick all boxes, on the drop down box choose none click ok and come out of this. Next time you have a B.S.O.D. It will stay on this screen untill you hit the power button on your pc. Normally if the message says IRQL_not less or equal or something like that, this means it's a driver problem,or it could be a ram problem ok ?

tugtac 17:24 23 Sep 09

thanks cap46, will give it a go although hardware manager shows no conflict
thanks hugo

tugtac 16:19 24 Sep 09

thanks chaps (or girls) looks like you"ve cracked it.
easiest step was to change the RAM and touch wood, no bsod
hugo
hopefuuly resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced