Blue screen of death

jono366 16:14 08 Jan 07

I have a pc i would like to fix. Does anyone know a way around this blue screen apart from having to format? The screen says" UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Along with all the other jargin. I am sure this is the boot.ini file that is missing or corupt in windows (i may be wrong)would like some help to get this back in without formating. It is Running on XPHome.

Cheers

mattyc_92 16:16 08 Jan 07

Insert your Windows XP installation disc and boot from it.

Follow the On-screen instructions for a 'repair install'.
This SOMETIMES fixes 'unmountable boot' problems, but not always. Worth a try though

jono366 17:04 08 Jan 07

I cant do a repair unless i use the recovery console and when in there it does not see there is windows on the pc.... I.e. It just has a C prompt and i think it should say C:\\WINDOWS.... I think if i had this there i could just type boocfg and that would fix it... but i am still stuck on what to do here.

Technotiger 17:07 08 Jan 07
  Technotiger 17:09 08 Jan 07

- or -

click here

surfmonkey #:@}© 17:09 08 Jan 07

you could try at the c promp
chkdsk /r
command to repair the volume

jono366 17:15 08 Jan 07

chkdsk/r comes up with bad command prompt

jono366 17:22 08 Jan 07

Ok that didnt work either tiger.... Let me get this right first..... When console opens in DOS window it has there C:\> Now in here i have typed chkdsk/p With no spaces so it look like this C:\>chkdsk/p i have tried putting r ant the end too and this say command is not reconised. Any more help for me??

surfmonkey #:@}© 17:56 08 Jan 07

just a thought you say you cant get into the recovery console when you insert windows cd is you bios set to 1st boot cd and not c drive

jono366 19:31 08 Jan 07

Tis ok guys i took out the hard drive and put it in another pc to find out the drive is goosed. Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Technotiger 19:32 08 Jan 07

OK - thanks for letting us know.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…