Blue Screen of Death?

Legslip 23:54 03 May 05

My friend has asked me to look into a problem with his HP Pavillion 710 PC. Whenever he switches on it constantly boots into a different B S of D every time. I cant get it to boot into Safe Mode (same prob) or seem able to get into the BIOS (del key). When I switch on it also fails on the initial B & W screen to outline the system details. It is running XP hHome but he cannot find his XP disk although there is a Product Key label on the case.
Any ideas?

woodchip 00:05 04 May 05

You can use any XP cd if you use the key but it will need to be correct version home or Pro

p;3 00:07 04 May 05

personally , no:(

however, each BSOD gives an error message and number? if you can post those messages and error numbers on forum, someone more knowledgeable should be able to assist:)

Legslip 00:17 04 May 05

Thanks guys. p:3 there are so many different BS of D's appearing,allcontaining War & Peace that it would take me ages to write out the details. Trying to boot from XP Setup floppys but not having a lot of luck.

Legslip 00:21 04 May 05

As I cant get into the BIOS I cant force it to boot from the CD Rom with the XP disk in it.

Legslip 01:05 04 May 05

Now into the BIOS and set to boot from XPM CD ROM. Starts to load/setup then states that 'file ftdisk.sys' is corrupted.

p;3 06:49 04 May 05

for the day shift:)

more detail of hos OS and main programs would help; I think he is infected but could be drastically wrong:(

what AV did he have on there if any?

Legslip 07:21 04 May 05

Thanks p:3 but if it was a virus surely it would not block a clean re-install of XP? I'm thinking it may be a dodgy hard drive. I have got a spare one at the office. Will bring it home this evening and see if I can put XP on it.

woodchip 10:46 04 May 05

This looks like a Heat related Problem or Memory fault. I would first check that the CPU Fan is doing what it should do cool the CPU. Take the side of computer case get a Hair drier put on cool blow start computer and point drier at CPU. see if it boots

Legslip 10:54 04 May 05

Thanks Woodchip. Will try 2nite.

Legslip 14:19 04 May 05

Lunchtime, quickly tried another H disk but still no good. After trying to load XP after about 1 min BS o D comes up 'problem caused by following file ACPI.SYS' and also states PPAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Any suggestions?

Not much left other than m-board & processor!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…