Blue Screen of Death

SABRE 08:37 09 Sep 04

Keep getting it. Sometimes in the middle of my work, sometimes if PC left unattended for a while. Have unplugged all peripherals and PC is just running on a Gigabyte GA-7vr motherboard, an AMD Athlon processor (cant remember exact but about a 2.2 Ghz), an Geoforce2 MX-400/64mb graphics card and a couple of hard drives. Aslso running XP Home.

Think the error messages keep refering to some sort of driver prob. but have downloaded latest drivers for devices.

Shall I start again with a new motherboard and graphics card?

AndySD 08:44 09 Sep 04

Can you note the error message?

Also Have you updated the Motherboard drivers?

SABRE 10:59 09 Sep 04

Thanks Andy SD. I have downloaded the drivers on my office PC and will take 'em home for installation tonight. I will also do a complete format/re-install of everything.
Also, do you know how I can check if the motherboard is using the latest bios and how, if necessary, I go about updating it?

AndySD 11:06 09 Sep 04

click here

The version should be displayed as the pv boots.

SABRE 16:26 09 Sep 04

....that I have found documented on the net? i.e. a faulty bunch of capacitors were fitted to m/boards a couple of years ago and thats about how old this m/bourd is.

AndySD 16:38 09 Sep 04

It could be or it could be a dodgy graphics card connection of a blocked or dirty fan....the list is endless.... but without the error message its imposable to tell.

BurrWalnut 16:44 09 Sep 04

You can determine very quickly if it is a capacitor problem by inspecting them. They will be bulging and leaking.

DON'T touch them if you've just switched off as they are very, very hot - I still have the scars!

SABRE 10:29 10 Sep 04

Well, fingers crossed. Completely re-formated last night. Took out the old 256mb Ram and replaced with 512. Updated the m/board and graph. card drivers and loaded SP2. Apart from a couple of freezes while loading misc. software, when I got up this morning the PC seemed to be in good shape i.e. no blue screen. have inspected the capacitors and all seems OK. Dod find a website that absolutely slags off this m/board. All I want to do is get e-mails and write a few letters.
Anyway, time will tell. Will update next week.

SABRE 08:42 14 Sep 04

PC has now started to hold together. Thank you once again 'helpdesk' readers for your assistance. Invaluable as always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…