Is This the Blue Screen of Death'

SABRE 20:28 11 May 04

If I leave my PC switched on for any period of time it goes into a blue screen with the following message and other associated mumbo jumbo.

'A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer'.

It means a complete reboot and a wait for the hard drive to sort itself out. Running Win XP. It's a real pain in the rear. Any ideas?

Graham ® 21:00 11 May 04

The other mumbo jumbo will need to be posted.

SABRE 22:10 11 May 04

It reads like War & Peace i.e. it fills the whole screen and contains a lot of code. If it is essential then I will write it down and type it out. Please advise and thanks for your interest and assistance.

alnwrd 22:25 11 May 04

I wonder if the cpu is overheating. This will cause a problem to be detected and trigger a shutdown. If it only occurs after being left on for a while maybe you need extra case cooling fans or the cpu fan may be on the blink. You could boot up and then go into bios setup. Find the page that deals with cpu temperatures, and leave the display to see if there is a heat build up. The cpu will get hotter the more work it does so you may not see a problem on the bios screen while the cpu is in tick over mode but it may give you some clues.

SABRE 20:30 14 May 04

Thought there may have been more response i.e Is it THE Blue Scrren of Death?

VoG II 20:34 14 May 04

Yes it is the Blue Screen of Death.

Please post the error message otherwise it would be pure guesswork.

Graham ® 20:47 14 May 04

Good evening, VoG™.

Sabre, try this: Start, right click My Computer,Manage, Event viewer, double click System, highlight an event, Action, Properties.

Repeat for any other suspicious events. Send to Microsoft as appropriate.

VoG II 20:51 14 May 04

Evening Graham ®

Sorry I "broke" your AOL browser. LOL ;o)

woodchip 21:00 14 May 04

I like it, "mumbo jumbo" Do You Really Want It?
It reads like War & Peace

interzone55 21:01 14 May 04

Download Sandra from click here=

And take a look at the mainboard info module, note the temperature, run the CPU benchmark for about 5 minutes, then take a look at the temperature again.

Athlons run hotter than P4s but if it's above 60degrees C for either you're going to need a better heatsink and/or case fans

VoG II 21:03 14 May 04

Evening woodchip!

I hope it isn't like War & Peace - there's an 800 word limit on here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…