Blue screen!

Hi chaps.

Recently loaded win xp on to new Sata hard drive ( which was a replacement for another failed HD!). All was well for a few days, and nothing untoward was happening apart from a slow loading xp. Started up as usual but received dreaded blue screen with message:
hardware prob etc, stop ox0000007b (0Xf789E63C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000 ) Not sure whether these codes relate to anything, but I have tried disconnecting all other hd's and disc drives,and rebooting but no joy. Have loaded xp on to another ide drive and manage to boot with all other drives attached. I can also access all files, folders on the sata drive from the ide xp set up.I have tried a windows repair on the sata drive with no success. Is the problem the drive or windows??? on the sata drive??
Any assistance most welcome.

User-312386 21:24 09 Mar 06

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and Click on Perfomance and tell us what the CPU Usage is please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:54 09 Mar 06

Microsoft has publish information that Error code 0x0000007b is caused

by the disk drive controller drivers, usually SATA, not being properly decorated. This has been hashed over numerous time over the past 7 or 8 months.

You need to obtain the latest version of your drive controller drivers

and ensure they are properly decorated.

Are the drivers properly decorated? If not, you can add the necessary decoration yourself in the .INF file

This link is to Microsoft's explanation of the decorations:

click here

Hi,

At present it sits around 0 - 2% depending on mouse usage. This is obviously visual only on win xp on the ide drive. Any help?

Fanx fruitbat.

So if I run winxp and try a repair to my sata drive , and load current sata drivers at F6 install acknowledgement will this be good enough to decorate the INF file without having to reload fully??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 09 Mar 06

Never tried a repair install to a SATA drive (only had SAta for a year with no probs so far) A repair install should not hurt.

But of course back up anything of import fist.

Hi Fruit bat.

Fanx for your help on this one. I downloaded the latest drivers for mobo sata set up and configured them on the scsi input in windows set up. Back up and running again!

I love computers!!
Cheers,
R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…