Blue Sc reen Stop error re NDIS.sys driver

iscanut 16:32 20 Jun 08

All of a sudden, "out of the blue" ( sorry re the pun) I cannot connect to the new via my Router. Am using my laptop wirelessly to be here. Got a Blue Screen with the message " NDIS.sys Adress BA612A52 base at BA5FD000, Datestamp 48025d03". This would appear to be driver used by the network card. I did a system restore to ma week ago, but still no good. PC boots up fine without the network cable plugged in. As soon as I plug it in, the Stop error comes up and that's it ! I tried to install a USB dongle to connect, thus avoiding the wired connection, but as soon as I attempt to connect by this method, Stop Error comes back. The sys file is dated April 2008 which is when I installed SP3. SFC Scannow has no effect at all either. I either need a new driver file or possible a new network card, but I do not know what to do next. Has anyone any ideas ? I did a google search, but although others seem to have had problems with this .sys file, I do not understand some of the comments with these queries as I am not technically minded when it comes to networks. I am now away until nexxt Wednesday, so I hope when I return, someone can suggest a remedy. Thanks,

iscanut 16:36 20 Jun 08

Sorry should have said running Win XP Home, sp3 with a Netgear modem router DG834G. The connection to the pc is Nvidia.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 20 Jun 08

Basic windows drivers for network card are conflicting you need to find out exactly what card you have and download the manufacturers drivers.

iscanut 18:05 25 Jun 08

Thanks Fruit Bat. Not sure how I can invoke the NVidia network drivers. When I look at System, Hardware, Devices..I can see that the NVidia network drivers are all installed. I thought that if I changed the name of the Windows driver NDis.sys to something like NDisbak.sys, then the system would look for and use the Nividai drivers but to no avail, the blue screen appears at boot up if network cable attached, or if not, blue screen appears as soon as cable is attached. I also get the blue screen if I try and connect via my USB dongle, so problem would appear to be the network drivers, but not necessarily the network connection ? Anyone else have any suggestions ?

iscanut 18:57 25 Jun 08

Have just tried to connect with my USB modem, but still get same problem so the plot thickens as this suggests it is not a problem with the network card, although I am no expert !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 25 Jun 08

uninstall network card drivers in device manager then reboot the pc and let windows reinstall the drivers.

woodchip 20:58 25 Jun 08

Have a Read it may help you click here

iscanut 18:30 26 Jun 08

Thanks Woodchip & Fruit Bat. Will keep trying !

iscanut 10:18 27 Jun 08

Have managed to reinstall and create a new Local Area connection icon, and all seems OK. I did notice also that the AVG Anti Virus & Firewall, new version 8 I was using seemed to install hardware called AVG mini ports as this came up when starting up. It showed as Found new hardware ? I have uninstalled AVG just in case it was the culprit in the first place.

woodchip 19:37 27 Jun 08

Free AV get Avast click here I use it.
You should only have one AV on your computer

iscanut 21:00 27 Jun 08

Thanks Woodchip, but ?????????????I only have one AV on the PC but it's no longer AVG !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac