Blue line appearing on left hand screen of laptop

BlackSapphire 13:21 15 Apr 08

I've had a refurbished laptop since February and it's been great till now, when a blue line appears from top to bottom of the screen on the left hand side of it every time I turn it on. I've emailed the seller to ask if he knows what is causing it as he sells hundreds of these and they are ok (hope I didn't get the duff one!!!) - it's an IBM T40 Thinkpad and it works great apart from this line. I've rebooted it the first time it happened (Sunday) and it went away but it's back now and no amount of rebooting clears it, just wondered if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be and how to remove it (if possible).

Thanks

Ahdinko 13:43 15 Apr 08

Try upgrading your graphics drivers to the latest version from the IBM website.

It could be dead pixels on the sceren (which means the screen is faulty)

BlackSapphire 13:50 15 Apr 08

I'll try that but I hope it's not dead pixels because these laptops are sold in perfect working order :(

Ahdinko 13:59 15 Apr 08

Damage can happen in transit, or sometimes things are just missed. If your seller is good, he'll take it back and give you a new one since it has broken so quickly.

Do you have a monitor you can plug into the VGA port and see if the line appears on the monitor?

BlackSapphire 14:16 15 Apr 08

It wasn't damaged though, it arrived in perfect condition, I don't want to give it up in case it's not what you say it is, and I have too much private info on the drive now (passwords for banking etc which can be recovered and I'm not happy to change everything just to send this back) I just posted a question on the IBM site re this and had to find the numbers on the back, when I righted the machine the line had gone. All of his laptops are sold only after passing rigorous checking especially for dead pixels. If it was damaged in transit then I would have expected it to fail before now. I don't know what it is but if it were dp then they wouldn't just disappear, or would they?

numskull 15:56 15 Apr 08

I had that problem on my TFT monitor and originally iiyama said it was probably a graphics problem but after calling them again I was told it was a fault and they sent me a new monitor and took the faulty one back.

BlackSapphire 16:13 15 Apr 08

In that case the whole thing would have to go back as it's not just a monitor but a complete laptop. I gotta give the guy a chance to answer but because of the security issues with data now on it's hard drive I wonder if it's worth all this fuss just to remove a blue line which at the moment has gone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…