Blue Error Screen on Shut Down

Chris-347369 00:10 30 Sep 05

I wonder if anyone could help please,

Occasionally when I shut down my computer it gets to the point at which it should turn off (after the saving your settings and shutting down Windows bit) but instead displays a blue error message screen telling me that my computer encountered an error and has been stopped to prevent damage (or something to that extent).

It tells me to disable any drivers which may be mentioned in the error message but all I actually get is:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x804E13D0,0XB84888C8,0x00000000)

Anyone know what the cause is and how it can be fixed?

Thanks

MAJ 07:48 30 Sep 05

'Stop' errors can be caused by a number of things, Pyroxide, both hardware and software problems can cause them, so they are usually hard to pin down quickly. Try removing all your peripherals and unnecessary cards and run a skeleton build see if it cures the problem. If it does cure the problem re-install your hardware one by one. A faulty memory module can be a prime suspect, so if you have more than one module installed, remove some and run on one module, interchanging it with another module if all is well, to try and eliminate it as the problem. You could run a test on your memory with "Memtest86" click here see if it reports a problem.

You haven't said which version of Windows you're using, so let us know in your next post, but try some of the above first.

Chris-347369 10:32 30 Sep 05

Come to think of it I think the first time I saw this message was around the time when I installed a wireless network card into one of my PCI slots. So i'll definitely try and see whether uninstalling that makes a different.

And for the record i'm running XP Prof SP2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…