Blue background red yellow and green squares/recta

pronatureboy 13:30 16 Dec 08

Help please, I have picked up a nasty one here. When I start my pc (HP nc2400 running XP Pro) and log in I get a Blue screen with red, yellow and green squares/rectangles. There is no taskbar, icons, start, etc. The control manager says blocked by administrator.
If I start in safe mode I get a blank screen with safe mode in each corner and nothing else. Stupidly I have not made a recovery disk, although I do have another machine (HP nc2400 running XP Pro) from which I could make a recovery disk if this would help. I do have the disk with the operating system. I also have a full backup of the affected machine.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Pete.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 16 Dec 08

I get a blank screen with safe mode in each corner and nothing else.

Wait a little longer for it to finish booting into safe mode
then scan with your Antivirus and malware.

pronatureboy 15:35 16 Dec 08

Sorry but I have left it for 30 minutes and still just a blank screen with "Safe Mode" in each corner and the MS Windows version centre top.
I presume this is the equivalent of the coloured screen I get on a normal start.
No Taskbar and no Start, nothing in fact.
Thanks anyway.
Pete.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:53 17 Dec 08

If it won't go into safe mode then your windows configuration is corrupted you will need to carry out a repair install for which you will need to have (borrow) a windows CD or it may be quicker to reload yuor backup if it is an image of your drive.

Coloured screen sounds like corrupted graphics drivers.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

pronatureboy 20:20 17 Dec 08

Thanks for the info. I followed your instructions and all went well untill the reboot. The machine hung at the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" screen where you have the horizontal rectangle with the 3 moving blue squares showing its loading. Two squares appeared in the left hand corner and didn't move, I left it for a few minutes and then the blue screen stating "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL If this is the first time etc (Tech Ifo *** STOP: 0x00000010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80523E78).
I attempted to run in Safe Mode and got "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now". It ran very slowly and enventualy came back with the message "Setup is being restarted..."
Again it failed. I think I will start from scratch and attempt to load my mirror HP backup.
Thanks again.
Pete.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:59 17 Dec 08

0x00000010

is usually cause by a driver problem will it now boot to safe mode?

as I said before corrupted graphics driver is most likely cause boot to same mode and uninstal it and reboot before reinstalling.

komodo2 05:35 11 Feb 09

actually found someone with my same problem!anybody have new info? i really don't want to bash my computer pieces please help

birdface 08:32 11 Feb 09

probably no help but pressing the Windows Key on the keyboard normally brings up all programs.And pressing Ctrl Alt and Delete normally brings up Taskmanager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…