Blu Ray support / windows 8

PresumingEd 22:08 PM 23 Apr 13

Hi

I have just bought the following laptop as a gift for my girlfriend.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5089071/c1/1%7Ccategoryroot%7CTechnology%7C33006169/c2/2%7C33006169%7CLaptops+and+PCs%7C33007795/c3/3%7Ccat_33007795%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C33014243.htm

It is advertised as Windows 7 but in fact comes with Windows 8. It doesn't have a disk drive so I am looking at buying an external USB one and the idea of a Blu Ray drive is appealing to allow us to watch blu-ray films on the go (in hotel rooms etc).

I understand that Windows 8 does not natively support any form of DVD or Blu Ray playback.

In short I just want to know what I need to play Blu Rays on the laptop as cheaply as possible and if the machine I have bought even has the hardware (BD ROM drive notwithstanding) to handle the task.

Thanks

sharpamat 09:11 AM 24 Apr 13

The link does not work So post back with Make and model, also inc details of graphics card

Find it very strange this does not have a disc drive?

Wins 8 does not have support for DVD or Media Centre, so even if you purchase a USB external drive, Most come with a disc for installation how will you install it?

If you purchased it as a Win 7 I would suggest you contact, and ask why it is not as advertised ?

Peter 10:58 AM 24 Apr 13

I think this computer hasn't got a DVD or CD drive because it's a 11.6" Mini Laptop, a bit like an oversized netbook?

Perhaps a small DVD player might be the answer to this problem?

Hopefully the link below might work.

HP DM1 11.6 Inch Beats Audio Mini Laptop. 508/9071 Argos Mini-Laptop Link

Peter.

PresumingEd 19:00 PM 24 Apr 13

Thanks Peter that's the link I meant.

I'd rather not buy a small DVD player as I'm looking for a drive to use with the netbook. Mainly to allow for disc writing and putting CDs onto windows media player / itunes. The blu-ray capability would be a bonus which I'm researching the feasability of.

I would have imagined that the drivers needed to recognise a USB disc drive would have a delivery method other than a disc otherwise wouldn't that defeat the purpose of many of these external drives? If not I could always copy the drivers from the disc onto another media like a pen drive using my other laptop.

PresumingEd 19:00 PM 24 Apr 13

Thanks Peter that's the link I meant.

I'd rather not buy a small DVD player as I'm looking for a drive to use with the netbook. Mainly to allow for disc writing and putting CDs onto windows media player / itunes. The blu-ray capability would be a bonus which I'm researching the feasability of.

I would have imagined that the drivers needed to recognise a USB disc drive would have a delivery method other than a disc otherwise wouldn't that defeat the purpose of many of these external drives? If not I could always copy the drivers from the disc onto another media like a pen drive using my other laptop.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites