bloody hard drive

Cabochon 00:58 05 Oct 05

so, i had a 486 once, and one day it wouldnt boot up (it nearly did, but kept coming up with a message that some internet explorer file couldn`t be found). I got rid of the 486 but kept the HD, thinking I`d try makng it a slave drive on another system. It`s a western digital 1Gb.
which I`ve tried with various pc`s since, from a pentium 100 with win 95 to a 1400 athlon with XP Home.
All have `seen` the slave drive, listing size, sectors etc while booting, but once boot up is complete it`s invisible. Windows explorer etc can`t see it.
I`d like to get into it as it has things on it I`d like to have.
Anyone got any ideas?

AndySD 01:14 05 Oct 05

Try Right clicking on My Computer and choose manage then Disk Manager. Does it see it there and if so is there any message with it?

Cabochon 09:12 16 Oct 05

I dug out the HD and reinstalled it as a slave in the computer, fired up and lo and behold!
`New hardware detected`.
I assume recently-installed Win XP has been able to do what every other version of windows over the years hasn`t, and read the drive.
Also newly-installed microsoft beta spyware checker promptly found a nasty in the registry of the old drive and quarantined it.
So thanks for your message - i would have left it in the junk drawer otherwise.

C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…