Bloodhound.Exploit.6 Virus

hawthorn59 04:26 05 Sep 04

I clicked on a link to a webpage and immediately Norton told me I was infected with Bloodhound.Exploit.6 virus. It said it was unable to repair the file. I clicked on its link to the Norton page and found that it was discovered in Feb. Removal instructins, it sent me to Microsoft page to download a patch.

I dont understand, why didnt Norton repair or remove it? Am I not up to date? I thought I was. What should i do now?

Thanks
KC

hawthorn59 04:30 05 Sep 04

Hi

I just discovered after Norton told me it couldn't repair it, i clicked ok and it said "access to the file denied".

KC

terminus 05:10 05 Sep 04

think you'll find Norton quarantined it. :)

VoG II 08:48 05 Sep 04

Bloodhound.Exploit.6 is a heuristic detection. Norton found something that looked like a virus and alerted you to it. It doesn't mean that you have a virus.

bertiecharlie 09:02 05 Sep 04

thehill.

Normally, Norton will detect a virus by matching it to a known virus definition. Bloodhound works differently. From Norton Anti-Virus Help File. "Bloodhound is the Norton AntiVirus scanning technology for detecting new and unknown viruses. It detects viruses by analyzing a file's structure, behavior, and other attributes such as programming logic, computer instructions, and any data contained in the file."

Specifically, Bloodhound.Exploit.6 is a heuristic detection for exploits of a vulnerability discovered in February 2004. I am pretty sure its referring to this click here

As long as you are up to date with critical patches from Microsoft then you are protected against this vulnerability and need do nothing further.

I had exactly the same thing a couple of months ago after clicking onto a Computercops thread listed on Google. I subsequently read that Bloodhound can be a bit trigger happy. If it detects part of what it thinks is virus code, even written in plain text on a website, then it will spring into action. At the time I got it, I found a really good explanation on Google from some expert but can I find it now .....

Computercops is the last place you will pick up a real virus.

bertiecharlie 09:04 05 Sep 04

Sorry, VoG™, I took so long writing that I hadn't realised you had posted.

VoG II 09:25 05 Sep 04

No problem bertiecharlie, you explained much better than me anyway :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5