Blocking an unsecure wireless network

elizkathjones 20:13 07 Feb 06

I have a wireless router and laptop card, which I have made secure. My neighbour has a similar set up but theirs is unsecure. Everytime they switch their kit on my laptop tries to connect to their router. Is this because their network in unsecure??? If they make it secure will this solve the problem?

Haol 20:23 07 Feb 06

No because your laptop will stick pick it up but it won't be able to connect. Look about in the settings for an option to exclude that wireless network.

ade.h 21:27 07 Feb 06

Start menu > Network Connections > Wireless Network.

Under the Wireless networks tab, you'll se your preferred networks - not necessarily preferred by you, but what your PC thinks it can use. Select and remove any that are not yours.

ade.h 21:28 07 Feb 06

Forgot to make clear that you need to right-click on your Wireless Network icon.

ade.h 21:29 07 Feb 06

And select properties from the context menu.

I'm really NOT on the ball tonight!!

ade.h 21:31 07 Feb 06

If you check the properties of the unwanted network in this list, and look at the third tab on the screen that has just appeared, you will see a check box called "connect to this network when in range". That's the culprit. Don't bother unchecking it though; just delete the network from the list.

keewaa 23:23 07 Feb 06

Log into the router and change the SSID to broadcast. This is usually caused by another network within range causing WZC to drop your network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos